linuxcaffe workskop ideas

Jamon Camisso jamonation at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 05:53:59 UTC 2006

Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> Dave Sullivan wrote:
>> Someone (I didn't catch his name) spoke with me after the workshop last
>> night and asked if I'd be interested in hosting an intermediate
>> workshop. Do you think there's interest/demand for that? He wanted to
>> discuss more low-level things, such as devices and CLI stuff.
>>
> At what point does this overlap with NewTLUG (the Toronto Linux User
> Group - new users SIG)?
> We have regular presentations on CLI, interesting tools (last month I
> gave a presentation on the file synchronization program Unison and Gerry
> Singleton from the OpenOffice team gave a demo of its new features).
> TLUG has already recently done a MythTV workshop.

Perhaps 3 Drupal sites using the drupal ID system would get each group
communicating with the others. RSS feeds from each group, syndication
and all that, really nifty and useful in this context I think.

> I'm all for increasing the general amount of awareness, but would prefer
> to keep the amount of gratuitous wheel reinvention to a minimum. There's
> relatively little in "new to Ubuntu" that isn't applicable to "new to
> Linux".

I haven't the wheels to make it up to Steeles. I haven't looked into
the TTC though, haven't had to.

> Perhaps, if the interest exists, I would like to suggest to maintain the
> Linuxcaffe workshops as perhaps applicable to the very newest -- curious
> to FOSS, just installing or  just installed -- and think of NewTLUG as a
> slightly higher level (ie, "OK, I have it installed and going, what kind
> of neat things can I do with it?") Initial questions -- especially
> related to hardware support, installation and initial setup -- tend to
> be distro-specific, but the slightly-more-advanced stuff strikes me as
> completely distro-neutral and perhaps worth of separate treatment.
>
> That way, the Toronto area might be served multiple ways by its users
> with no redundancy:
> absolute beginners -- Ubuntu workshops
> intermediate -- NewTLUG
> advanced/developers -- TLUG

And for each and every meetup of whichever group, someone can use a
program like screenkast or xvidcap to post videos, perhaps record
audio as well. That way everyone has access to everyone else's
material.
Demo of the video module for Drupal here:
http://www.varesano.net/video-demo/

Call me crazy...

Jamon