An Appeal for Help and a Fair Hearing

Corey Burger corey.burger at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 05:14:34 UTC 2006

This is the last message that should go to ubuntu-ca. All further
communication between Rene and myself will be offline.

On 11/7/06, rbil <rbil at shaw.ca> wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-07-11 at 16:17 -0800, Corey Burger wrote:
> > Hey all,
> >
> > Wow, that is great deal of emotion. I think we can still come to a
> > happier conclusion to this issue.
> >
> Corey,
>
> I'm glad that you finally have chosen to speak out on this whole
> episode. You were the first person I contacted both by emails and an
> attempt to engage you in a channel, hoping that the issue could be
> resolved peacefully and with some common sense. That was on Sunday night
> and this is the first indication that you've paid any attention to this
> matter. I would love to see a happy conclusion to this issue as I'm
> personally affected by still having no access to the #ubuntu channel
> that I so enjoyed participating in and helping others with ubuntu
> whenever I felt I could.

Rene, I truly apologize for taking the time. Life has a way of
catching up to you in nasty ways.

> > I agree with the ban, but think this can be cleared up quickly with a
> > quick apology. Rene, I understand you think it is a joke
>
> What would have ever lead you to the belief that I think this is a joke?
> I see absolutely nothing funny about anything that has transpired. In
> fact, I find it both discouraging and sad.  I find it unbelievable how
> my words and intent could get so twisted! But, ok, I'm not a great
> writer and however I've chosen to express myself obviously has been
> inadequate, as people have come to conclusions that at times are
> completely opposite to what I've attempted to convey. I'm sure it
> doesn't help that I've been doing this under great duress and a range of
> emotions from anger to frustration.

> > but Nazism is
> > far from a joke. Did you know it is actually a criminal offense in
> > Germany?
>
> And well it should be. I would like to see that applied here in Canada
> as well.

<snip>

> > So how do we bring this to a conclusion?
> >
> > I think an apology from Rene to this list
>
> I am certainly prepared to apologize to this list! I profusely apologize
> to this list. My intention was never to become disruptive within this
> list. But, I couldn't just standby and ignore the misinterpretations
> that poured forth by some on this list regarding myself or my overall
> intentions - which was to bring a problem forward that I thought needed
> addressing.

apology accepted.

> >  and to the IRC admins,
>
> Corey, you are asking a lot with this last requirement. I cannot
> apologize to the IRC admins, as I feel that I have been wronged by at
> least some of them. I made a mistake, by entering a one line comment in
> that channel that resulted in getting banned. I tried (as the record so
> plainly shows) to find out why I had been banned, because I was totally
> unaware that a particular word was so forbidden. I attempted through
> both emails and jumping to other channels to get an explanation as to
> what was going on and as the record plainly shows, got nowhere but
> another ban. I sent out a courteous email to the head OP in those
> channels asking for further clarification and that was completely
> ignored. As of right now, I remain cutoff from the #ubuntu channel by
> the authority that is held by the original OP who banned me and who
> continues to refuse to answer my email. And you want me to apologize to
> the IRC admins?

> Sorry Corey, I will not apologize to the IRC admins. In fact, I'm
> expecting an apology from them and from YOU. I admit, you guys hold all
> the cards. You have the authority and power and I'm but a single
> individual who can't do much about this situation other then try to
> honestly expose what has taken place.

You want the evidence?
http://people.ubuntu.com/~fabbione/irclogs/ubuntu-2006-11-06.html
Search for the word "nazi"
Regardless of the smile attached to it, calling somebody a Nazi is
completely contrary to the Code of Conduct and you were rightly kicked
for it.

You then entered -offtopic and said:
P! I need the assistance of an op. I just got banned from #ubuntu.
This was a mistake! Some nazi spammed the channel and some op jumped
in and banned me. Anyone here an op that can get me unbanned? Thanks
from http://www.novarata.net/rbil-offtopic
Again, using the word nazi to describe somebody is another violation
of the Code of Conduct, for which you were rightly banned from
-offtopic

After that you joined -ops, at which point it was explained that what
you doing was offensive by Dennis and nalioth. After further
discussion and your failure to see that calling people a "nazi" was
not acceptable, you were banned from -ops as well, as can be seen at
http://www.novarata.net/rbil-ops

Where does this leave us. The ops have informed me that your ban is
now one week, due to all the trouble you have caused. Normally it
would have been 48 hours.

Not certain about the rules of IRC: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IrcGuidelines

At this point that is where the matter rests. If you consider yourself
slighted further, your court of last resort is the Community Council.
If you wish to carry a dispute to the Community Council, I will show
you how to do that (although I will not advocate for you)

Yours,

Corey