An Appeal for Help and a Fair Hearing

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Wed Nov 8 04:02:35 UTC 2006

Corey said:

> So how do we bring this to a conclusion?
>
> I think an apology from Rene to this list and to the IRC admins, at
> which point I consider the matter done. Does this work?
To which Rene answered:

> Sorry Corey, I will not apologize to the IRC admins. In fact, I'm
> expecting an apology from them and from YOU.
IOW, the issue ain't dead; indeed the response suggests that we are in
for more whining.

I suggest invoking Godwin, and asking the issue be taken off the list.
Indeed, I'd like to replace the issue with a question I consider far
more important: the ramifications of the Microsoft/Novell deal on Ubuntu.

In making the deal with Microsoft, Novell is suggesting that it sees
validity to potential patent claims against the contents of Linux
distributions. Indeed, MS has explicitly said that it wants to see deals
made by other distributions.

I would like to know if there is an official Ubuntu position on this
POV, and/or if Canonical has any plans for corporate indemnification
schemes such as those offered by Red Hat and HP.

- Evan