Amarok and Ipods

Andrew Hunter andy.hunter at rogers.com
Mon Nov 6 02:19:30 UTC 2006

On Sunday 05 November 2006 20:04, rbil wrote:
> Since people have been discussing Amarok around here, I have a question
> about getting Amarok to recognize an Ipod. On my system, it's unable to
> do this. I thought maybe installing the ipodslave package would get this
> to work, but it doesn't.
>
> I'm guessing that maybe because Amarok is written for KDE, something
> different happens then when running under Gnome? Maybe KDE when
> auto-mounting an Ipod mounts the device to /mnt, whereas under Gnome the
> device is auto-mounted to /media and hence Amarok is unable to find the
> device?

I am using kubuntu, and it automounts under /media.

> Is any Kubuntu user on this list that uses an Ipod able to confirm where
> an Ipod is mounted?

Just did.

> The above is just wild guesses on my part and maybe something else
> entirely is missing that prevents Amarok here from seeing the Ipod? I
> have no problem with other apps like Rhythmbox or gtkpod seeing the
> Ipod.
Have you configured amarok to look for the iPod?

Look in media devices and hit the autodetect button, that works for me. You
have to do it once and then you should be able just tell it to connect from
the media devices tab (in the main window).

Worst case, you have to configure it manually (tell it what type of device and
where it is mounted).

--
"First, God created idiots. But that was just for practise, then he made
school boards."