metalug.com.org.net.ca and the MetaLUG Foundation.

Russell McOrmond russell at flora.ca
Thu Nov 2 17:31:52 UTC 2006

David J Patrick wrote:
> OK ubuntuers, here's the full poop;
>
> metalug.com.org.net.ca and the MetaLUG Foundation.

   One of the things I worry about is fragmentation of our community.
There are groups that are already trying to do some of this work that
could use the energy of new volunteers/etc.

   I'm the new (as of the beginning of 2006) policy coordinator for
CLUE.  We have expanded from being a LUG of LUGs (CLUE stood for the
Canadian Linux User Exchange) to being a full-blown Association for Open
Source.  This means an expansion beyond users and beyond just Linux.

   My roll is to expand the type of work I've been doing in Ottawa on
behalf of the FLOSS community (via http://digital-copyright.ca and
http://GOSLINGcommunity.org), hopefully with the help of additional CLUE
volunteers (and when resources allow, paid staff).

   http://www.cluecan.ca/mcormond

   While I was brought in to do policy work, this does not  mean that
CLUE is no longer doing the work it was trying to do when it was the
Canadian LUG of LUGs.

   http://www.cluecan.ca/projects

   I'm told there is multiple LUGs in Toronto.  I'm wondering if this
best serves the community to have different groups, rather than trying
to get along with each other?  If there are factions of Linux users in
Toronto that aren't that keen on communicating, I can understand now why
Bill Traynor and others at CLUE have been having such a hard time.

   I'm told that there are plans for you (David J Patrick) to speak with
Evan Leibovitch, our Executive Director.  I look forward to the
possibilities, and hope that there will be a way to come together as a
larger community rather than continue to fragment.

   Thanks for reading, and I hope people will consider CLUE as an
existing group that is trying to get the Canadian FLOSS community together.

  Please help us tell the Canadian Parliament to protect our property
  rights as owners of Information Technology. Sign the petition!
  http://www.digital-copyright.ca/petition/ict/

   manufacturers, can pry my camcorder, computer, home theatre, or
   portable media player from my cold dead hands!"