metalug.com.org.net.ca and the MetaLUG Foundation.

Bill Traynor btraynor at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 15:40:10 UTC 2006

On 10/30/06, David J Patrick <djp at linuxcaffe.ca> wrote:
> OK ubuntuers, here's the full poop;

First off, as the person who's struggled to maintain linux.ca (CLUE)
as an organization for the past 6 years or so that I applaud you and
wish you the best of luck with your effort.

<snip>
> Although linux.ca and linux.com
> both post large lists of lugs, inter-lug communication is dismal, as
> demonstrated by our experience here in Toronto, where the synergies
> between GTAlug, CLUE, NewTLUG, WestLUG, KWLug, are all but unrealized.

Building the relationships with each LUG in Canada (let alone
globally) is a full time job.  Given that, once relationships are
established and you've convinced LUGs that there is value FOR THEM in
communicating with other LUGs, fostering that communication is
exponentially hard.  LUGs aren't simply going to start talking to each
other.  You'll need to figure out a mechanism for initiating,
maintaining and growing conversations between LUGs.

> So I introduce to you, my local lug,  metalug.

Uh, don't call it local, it sounds like your goal is more global/universal.

> It's a Linux User Group whose focus is Linux User Groups.
>
> As yet, it's all in my head, but I've taken the liberty of registering
> a few domains, and here's what I'd like to do with them;

I did this once too, my domains were the variants of www.earthlug.com,
I've since let those domains lapse.

> metalug.com - the global lug site, that attempts to track lugs (and if
> they exist, other metalugs) worldwide.

Several of these exist as I'm sure you know already.

> metalug.org - a gathering place for lug resources; website CMSs,
> templates, membership management software, documents, how-to, and the
> like.

This could be useful.  The LUG HOWTO was an attempt to provide
everything someone who wanted to start a LUG needed to know. It's
since become out dated, I think.

> metalug.net - a gateway for interlug communication, mailing list
> hosting / interlug announcements etc.

CLUE can accommodate this already.  The linux.ca site is a
Drupal-based site and incorporating more functionality into it would
be trivial.

> metalug.ca - the Canadian metalug, listing all known Canadian LUGs
> with maps and contact info and Canadian Interlug forums.

Already done, albeit rather poorly:
http://www.cluecan.ca/flexinode/table/1

This list also requires regular maintenance.

> These will all be sister-sites, with seamless links in between, but
> clear and distinct separation of function. OTOH, a single domain, with
> sub-domains, may prove the saner way, and the other domains will
> simply re-direct. idonno.

Utilize linux.ca, which aliases to cluecan.ca as well.  That's what
it's there for.

<snip>

> I'll be setting up metalug.com.net.org.ca initially as a means of
> refining and defining the mission, and then running them to achieve
> it. I hope you'll join me. I need help ;-)

Sorry, I hope I'm not coming off as nonsupporting above, I just want
you to know that lots of this has been started already and your
efforts would be better focused on building on the work that's already
been done, not starting from scratch.

Also, you may wish to extend your idea to all FOSS UGs, not just Linux
User Groups.

As your first actionable item, I'd suggest the following:

Subscribe to every Canadian LUGs and FOSS UGs mailing list or online
forum and begin monitoring them.  This is the best way to gain insight
into the interests of each.  But be aware that your daily email influx
will increase exponentially.

Also, lurk in IRC channels.

What you need to succeed is the relationships with each User Group
necessary to keep the conversation going.

Good Luck!

Bill Traynor