Greetings from a newbie

Daniel Robitaille robitaille at fastmail.fm
Thu Nov 2 02:21:42 UTC 2006

On Wed, 01 Nov 2006, Brian Burger wrote:
>>     I'm doing everything except converting [2]Audible.com files to MP3 on
>>     Ubuntu.
>
>    What format does audible use for their audiobooks? Unless it's incredibly
>    obscure or (worse) something propietary, converting it should be fairly
>    easy - check out Audacity for audio conversion, or another one of the
>    several audio editing apps available.

It seems they use some sort of DRM on their ".aa" files:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audible.com

"Digital Rights Management: .aa format files encapsulate sound encoded
in either MP3 or the ACELP speech codec, but include copy protection by
means of an Audible user name and password. Licenses are available for
schools and libraries."