Base system installation failure

Rob Bowers ribowers at gmail.com
Sat May 13 13:42:11 UTC 2006

I am trying to switch to linux. I tried to install Ubuntu 5.10 but keep
getting the same error:

"The base system installation into /target/ failed. Check
/target/var/log/bootstrap.log for the details."

The installation proceeds according to the installation guide's promises up
to then. The CD integrity check confirms that the CD is good.

I must admit to being very new to this – it is the first time I have dealt
with a computer not filtred through windows. It might be something obvious
to anyone else.

Please help,

Rob