Moral Question: Is it right to traking people email online

Claude Larochelle claudelarochelle at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 13:07:46 UTC 2006

Very interresting ethic point!  It is a little bit like the technology that
are created for peace and medical purpose, and someone in a military
laboratory find a destrucfull manner to use it.  Nuclear is the perfect
exemple.  It can produce cheap electricity for poor conutry, it can burn
cancer tumor, etc... But, we can produce extreme explosion.  Should we ban
the nuclear technology because some poeple develop the bomb?

I think you should look at the finallity of the processus:

Is this functionnallity:  mail that poeples of your compagny will be able to
read,  can help your client?  For exemple they will be able to give hint to
helpdesk poeple or answer directly to the client.

Is the mail that you will send to others is to be used for other purpose
than help your client?  I.E. Selling e-mail addresses, or stuff like that.

If the answer for the question 1 is yes, and for the second is no, I think
you should not be unconfortable with this.  And anyway, if you do not
develop this functionnallity, what can you do if someone in your compagny is
sending to everyone the mails they received from your clients.  At the end,
it is the same thing.

Have a nice day,

Claude