Old Aged People, and Handicapped People?

David J Patrick djp at linuxcaffe.ca
Thu Dec 28 14:37:15 UTC 2006

On 27/12/06, Alfred <alfred.s at nexicom.net> wrote:

> There is this thing that you need to take a look at! Linux is based in
> the good will of Volunteers, that form a Community, that makes things
> happen. I've heard that you are having Demo Days, and Install Days, and
> the like, to get the word out about Ubuntu. Do you not realize that all
> this Positive Stuff, that you are doing, is Negated by the Negative
> Stuff that you are doing!

What negative stuff, Alfred ? and what rules do you speak of ?
The only negative thing I can think of was an incident where someone made
inflammatory remarks, in an IRC channel, was kicked off, and then went on an
angry campaign to regain access to the channel. The only rules I know of are
the Ubuntu code of conduct, and that is really only an elaborate way to say
"be nice". If you aren't mean, or insulting, then there's nothing to
remember.

Who has time to play with Ubuntu?

who has time to chase viruses and spyware on their Windows machine ? to pay
for the forced hardware and software upgrades ? not me ! If you want to
break the bonds of proprietary software, you will have to invest some time.
No way around that, but once you get the hang of it, it's all free and easy,
and the support community is fantastic.

If you are going to have some Theme, of "Share the Love", well it needs
> to be all pervasive, to exude from everything UBUNTU. Then you might
> have some luck in getting the message out, unobstructed.

The love is being shared. It's available to you, no strings, but the
generous souls who extend helping hands do so in hopes that they won't
suffer too much abuse.

Go Visit Sick Children's Hospital there in Toronto. Go Visit some Old
> Age Homes,Talk to some of the Nurses, some of the people, and get a feel
> for people that have a whole bunch of time to learn something new, and
> what their requirements are, and that may give you some guidance on
> making some improvements to your: The Canadian Ubuntu Users Community
> <ubuntu-ca at lists.ubuntu.com>  Perhaps even some guidelines in your
> making Web Sites, for other areas.

No-one is being forced to use linux. If you can't invest any time, to learn
how it works, then sadly you will have to stay with what you know. If you
come up with specific problems, the community will usually jump to help you
past them, but they can't make it into some zero-effort magic, however, any
investment you make now, will serve you well as you enjoy software freedom,
in the years ahead. I'm sure that any suggestion to make things simpler, and
more accessible, will be welcomed.

We all want the same thing, Alfred, to use our computers to do stuff, not
just as a giant time-sink. Learning and using linux, and becoming part of
the community will go a long way to setting you free from the companies that
would milk you for the rest of your days. It's not always easy, but it's
worth the effort.

djp

djp at linuxcaffe.ca
www.linuxcaffe.ca