Old Aged People, and Handicapped People?

Alfred alfred.s at nexicom.net
Thu Dec 28 00:57:21 UTC 2006

Hi: I've seen from time to time information on meetings having to do
with Ubuntu, to the effect of "Share the Love! Share Ubuntu!". Since the
21st of December 2006, the postings from the Canadian Ubuntu Users
Community, have not arrived in my mail box. Well that could be because
the server got shut down for Christmas, or that Alfred broke some sort
of rule again?

There is this thing that you need to take a look at! Linux is based in
the good will of Volunteers, that form a Community, that makes things
happen. I've heard that you are having Demo Days, and Install Days, and
the like, to get the word out about Ubuntu. Do you not realize that all
this Positive Stuff, that you are doing, is Negated by the Negative
Stuff that you are doing!

Who has time to play with Ubuntu? People that have time, are some of the
people that play with Ubuntu. So Kids have free time, and Handicapped
people have free time, and Senior citizens have free time. That it is
distributed for free, is wonderful. Most kids don't have tons of money.
Handicapped people are as a rule not that rich either. Senior Citizens
often are not that rich. So getting a Free Ubuntu CD, or DVD, is sure a
Stroke of Luck! Did you know that Handicapped people and Senior Citizens
often are on Sodium Restricted Diets. Salt is something that helps
Nerves work very well, but when you are on a Sodium restricted diet, for
a few years, then the Nerves and the brain does not work, as if you are
20 or thirty. So Having a Web Site like this which has all kinds of
Rules actually Discriminates against the very people that do have the
time to learn about Ubuntu. A Handicapped person, might spend most of
their time just trying to formulate a question to ask the Ubuntu
Community, with regard to some Linux Problem, that they are having, that
perhaps a few people in the Community might know the answer to. If you
ask them what the Rules are they wouldn't be able to tell you. They are
having a very hard time, just posing the question. Yet a person called
Patrick, told me I'd broken some rule, but then didn't deliberate. Some
Rule, that a person his age might remember well, but then. No rule came
to my mind. You might have better luck with this, when you condense all
these rules into one simple rule. Handicapped people might be able to
hang on to, just one rule. Senior Citizens might just be able to
remember one rule. That makes your Web Site Senior Citizen Friendly, and
Handicapped Friendly.

Ubuntu did a great service with including some Accessibility Software,
which helped out some people with Handicaps. Why not make your Web Site,
E-mail Site just as Friendly. <ubuntu-ca at lists.ubuntu.com>.

See after a few years of being on a Low Sodium Diet, Short Term Memory -
It's gone! A Complicated set of Rules, that's gone too! We were not
trying to be Nasty, we just don't remember that well. All the Goodwill,
and effort to create that Goodwill, with Ubuntu parties, and Demo's.
It's all lost, when you have some person that Boots a Handicapped
Person, or a Senior Citizen off this Web Site / E-mail address for
breaking a rule, that they can't remember. How I felt on the 22'nd was
much like some very Nasty Ubuntu Person had slapped me around.

This has a very NASTY IMPACT on your OUTREACH PROGRAMS! On Birthdays
Ubuntu does not get given out to the Kids, by Senior Citizens. Seniors
hearing from School Boards how Ubuntu is going to be taught in Schools,
still feeling hurt from your NASTY WAY, of Enforcing the Rules. Will now
become your Main Opposition! You hurt them, and they are going to hurt
you! I've given out easily 35 Ubuntu's of various flavours, over the
years that I've been playing with Ubuntu. You get on peoples nerves
enough, well even if you are the Best Linux Distro out there, in no time
at all, that will change!

If you are going to have some Theme, of "Share the Love", well it needs
to be all pervasive, to exude from everything UBUNTU. Then you might
have some luck in getting the message out, unobstructed.

Go Visit Sick Children's Hospital there in Toronto. Go Visit some Old
Age Homes,Talk to some of the Nurses, some of the people, and get a feel
for people that have a whole bunch of time to learn something new, and
what their requirements are, and that may give you some guidance on
making some improvements to your: The Canadian Ubuntu Users Community
<ubuntu-ca at lists.ubuntu.com>  Perhaps even some guidelines in your
making Web Sites, for other areas.

I visited your Web site that you spoke about a few weeks ago in posts,
and you did a very nice job on that! So there is still some Hope that
you just might get it right, on the List too!

Alfred!