Xubuntu 6.06.1 desktop i386

Jean-François Gagnon Laporte kioshen at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 13:30:55 UTC 2006

> On Wed, 2006-12-20 at 20:30 -0800, Daniel Robitaille wrote:
>
> > One way around it is to put a password into your BIOS setup  so that
> > you cannot easily boot from a Live CD unless you know that password.
> > But not too many people do that (including me...).  One way around
> > this for a hacker, since he has physical access to your computer, is
> > to physically open the computer case, take out the hard drive, and put
> > it into another computer, and once again do whatever he/she wants in
> > the OS on that hard drive, and  then reinstall the hard drive back
> > into the original computer.
>
> On 12/21/06, Kyle Vanditmars <kylevan at telus.net> wrote:
> Couldn't you just do a CMOS reset?  Usually there's a jumper you can
> short that will reset the BIOS anyway, I would imagine that would
> obliterate the password.
>
> <snip>
> -Kyle

Like Daniel said, as long as somebody has physical access to the
computer he/she can do whatever they want with it. The only thing you
can do is put layers of "security" to slow down the cracking process.

AFAIK, the only thing that will seriously slow down somebody is by
encrypting directly the data on your hard drive. Any OS is vulnerable
when you can attack it directly instead of remotely.

Regards,

JF