Software in schools, again

Corey Burger corey.burger at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 05:46:24 UTC 2006

On 12/20/06, Evan Leibovitch <evan at telly.org> wrote:
> Anthony Yarusso wrote:
> > This (http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=36464) reminded
> > me - whatever became of that chatter re: software in use by Ontario
> > school boards?  Also, anybody have good connections to an NDP MP or
> > similar that might be willing to make some noise on behalf of
> > open-source in education?  (I have connections to a candidate (dept
> > chair's wife), but she didn't win)
> This is but one problem with having an Ubuntu group separate from the
> rest of the community. There are already some efforts being made, at
> least with the TDSB, to begin the slow process of changing minds. But
> they're happening elsewhere. Too bad Ubuntu folks that go no further
> than this forum are out of touch with what the rest of the community is
> doing.

That is quite harsh and I don't think reflects reality. You will also
note that Tony asked about Open Source, not Ubuntu in specific.

> Go in pushing Ubuntu at this stage in the game and you'll get laughed
> out the door. This is a lengthy matter of educating the educators, and
> they have no idea why not to stick with Windows. It works "well enough"
> and the province pays the cost of the software so price isn't an issue
> to them. This is a fight that Apple has been losing for years despite
> its best efforts; before you can even talk to bureaucrats about
> distributions, you need to convince them "why not Microsoft" and that is
> a VERY hard sell. Even having succeeded then, the question becomes "why
> not Apple". Only AFTER they've been convinced that Linux is a credible
> alternative can you even begin to talk Ubuntu -- and then you'll need to
> be ready with a commercial support infrastructure capable of supporting
> tens of thousands of systems.

Actually, I completely disagree with you. People don't buy principles,
they buy products. But you are right about the commercial support, in
some regards. There are two ways Ubuntu (or any version of Linux) is
going to end up in a school: Top down or bottom up. Both require we
give them a product that works, not some ideas, as much as we like
them. Top down requires all that support but bottom up doesn't. All it
requires is one brave person to just go ahead and do it. Top down is
almost best left to big companies, because those in power generally
only listen to those with money, while bottom up is best left to the
community.

Why listen to me? I sell desktop Linux every single day, mostly to
public libraries, but also to schools (I have basically completely
failed as well, but you keep trying).

> There is already a well-known story of a Toronto high school which had a
> Linux lab closed down at the request of the _educators_. There is
> substantial inertia to overcome, and any assistance is welcome.

Yes, this is a tragic story, but I think some of the details were not
quite represented correctly.

Cheers,

Corey