Gratis CDs

Kyle Vanditmars kylevan at telus.net
Tue Dec 19 00:45:48 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-12-18 at 14:39 -0800, Daniel Robitaille wrote:
> On 12/18/06, Kyle Vanditmars <kylevan at telus.net> wrote:
> > So I've added my plan to start an advocacy campaign at school to the
> > wiki (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CanadianTeam/ApprovalApplication/) but I
> > have a question.
> >
> > If/when I'm able to get ahold of some Ubuntu CDs, and set up a little
> > "giveaway" area, I'm wondering if it would be "okay" to include
> > something like the OpenCD in the same place.  The browser thing that
> > pops up when you pop an Ubuntu CD into a running Windows system is a
> > little light on content, and I think it would be particularly good to
> > introduce people to OpenOffice.org and the other "heavyweight" FOSS
> > programs even if they perhaps aren't ready/willing to install Ubuntu
> > yet.  The argument's been made many times that getting people accustomed
> > to the applications will make the switch that much easier.
> >
> > My only concern is that the costs would probably be prohibitive to get
> > "professional" looking copies of the CD (they're $1.75 each from
> > http://linuxcd.org/,) and while I'm not averse to burning a 50-cd
> > spindle myself, people might be averse to taking one with some of my
> > scrawl across the front.
> >
> > Thoughts? Suggestions?
>
> Ever tried to load an Ubuntu LiveCD in Windows?  It will start a
> subset of the OpenCD; last time I checked it contained the installer
> of the Windows version of applications like Firefox, Thunderbird, Gimp
> and a few others.
>
> So maybe for your needs you don't need to get the actual full-fledged
> OpenCD on a seperate CD, but the Ubuntu LiveCD would be enough to give
> to people as long as they know that it is not only a linux distro, but
> it also contains open source apps that would work in Windows.
>

> --
> Daniel Robitaille

I did pop my Ubuntu 6.10 CD into my sister's XP computer before mailing
initially, and your choices are FireFox, T-bird, Abiword, Gaim and GIMP.
I guess the main thing that's lacking is OOo, as I'm sure a lot of
people like to hang on to the "what about office?" excuse - despite
using maybe 10% of the features in Word, never mind the rest of the
suite.

Anyway, I'll just start with getting Ubuntu CDs there, and posters
around campus.