Linux in schools

Leslie Lewis lesliel8 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 17 16:23:01 UTC 2006

I think it's important to move Linux into schools, as you say. I think, too,
that cash-strapped organizations like churches and charitable organizations
should adopt Linux now that distros like Ubuntu are mature and useable by
non-geeks. It makes no sense to pay Microsoft a small fortune for something
that you can get for free. These organizations, which are in the business of
providing moral leadership to the rest of society, often find themselves
using pirated software and therefore breaking the law. In my own days as
priest in an impoverished Anglican parish I found myself "donating" lots of
software to the church computer, breaking the licence agreement by running
it on my home and the work computer. I wanted to switch to Linux but
couldn't make the network card work so had to settle for Windows. At least I
moved the church to OpenOffice.org.

If you're involved in volunteering, see what you can do to move the
organization onto Linux. You'll be doing the world a favour.

Leslie in Canmore