Linux in schools

Tee Jay Rosene teejayrosene at gmail.com
Sun Dec 17 14:47:36 UTC 2006

I think putting Linux in schools is a great idea and support the move
100% I hope to see more school boards, and government offices, etc. make
the switch. It is such a logical solution to the ever increasing IT
costs, and it provides users with choice, which is always a good thing.
There are way too many people out there who think that using a computer
is synonymous with Windows (or vice versa).
There are also many learning benefits; teaching students that there are
alternatives, and the philosophical/political motivations behind Open
Source can only be a positive experience that is already much overdue.
What I want to know is how we (as members of Ubuntu Canada specifically
and as fans of Open Source more generally) are going to help enable the
process of bringing knowledge and awareness of Linux etc. to those who
aren't familiar with this software? The municipal government where I
live, and the institution in which I work (a university here in Canada)
would definitely benefit from the use of Open Source.
Any thoughts, ideas?
Tee Jay