[ubuntu-ca] Samba, 1 2 3....

Jim Little jlittle at orderedBits.com
Fri Dec 15 14:42:07 UTC 2006

Quoting Master Cougar:

> sudo /etc/init.d/samba stop
>    That works
>
> sudo /etc/init.d/samba start
>   That fails. [message I get]
>
> See if that gets smbd running and check your /var/log/messages and
> > /var/log/samba/samba.log files for errors.
>
>  Oh yeah, error /etc/samba/samba.users does not exist.

In your smb.conf file you have the line:
username map = /etc/samba/smbusers

Where did that come from?  I think that's the cause of your problem.  Samba
keeps all its user information in tdb files under /var/lib/samba by default.

Short of starting over you could try the following:
sudo /etc/init.d/samba stop
sudo mv /etc/samba/smb.conf /etc/samba/smb.conf.bak
sudo dpkg-reconfigure samba
sudo dpkg-reconfigure samba-common

Go through the prompts and take the recommended settings.  Then go back and edit
your smb.conf file and copy the information about your shares back in there
(from the smb.conf.bak file).

Then do a:
sudo /etc/init.d/samba start

and check for errors again.

If it works then "ps -ef | grep mbd" should show both nmdb abd smbd processes.

Don't give up, I think you're pretty close.

Jim