[ubuntu-ca] Samba, 1 2 3....

Master Cougar master.cougar at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 17:44:29 UTC 2006

On 12/14/06, Jim Little <jlittle at orderedbits.com> wrote:

> Quoting Master Cougar:
>
> I don't know anything about gsambad but maybe that's because I'm running
> Dapper
> and not Edgy.  To install samba I just did a "sudo apt-get install
> samba".  It
> starts automatically at startup.  I did have to edit the configuration
> files
> first, however.

  I think I did that, now to find where they are located.

> I think you are talking about 3 boxes here, your Ubuntu machine, a PC
> running
> windows, and an Xbox.  Is that true?  Please indicate which machines you
> want to
> share files to and from.

  Nope, no PC running windows. Just a Ubuntu machine and an Xbox  Both
machines are connected to an ethernet hub, which is in turn connected to a
cable modem.

Samba consists of two parts, a server and a client.  The server part shares
> files on your Ubuntu box visible with other machines and the client part
> allows
> your Ubuntu box to see files shared by other machines on your network.

  Okay, I follow you so far.

It is helpful (but not mandatory) to choose a machine to be a domain
> master.  It
> should be the one that is on the most often.  Having a domain master will
> help
> your Xbox be able to find the shares on your other two machines.

   Okay, I'll look into that.

Check the samba documentation on-line for information on how to do this.

> Finally, you can check if samba is running on Ubuntu by typing the
> following in
> a terminal:
> ps -ef | grep mbd
> If you see smbd and/or nmbd processes than samba is running.

Okay, when I do that I get

marc at marc-desktop:~$ ps -ef | grep mbd
root      4354     1  0 08:59 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/nmbd -D
marc     10576 10552  0 12:41 pts/0    00:00:00 grep mbd
marc at marc-desktop:~$

HTH,

  Yes.

--