Endorsement of petitions by Ubuntu Canada?

Peter Whittaker pwwnow at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 22:35:45 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-13-12 at 12:53 -0500, Russell McOrmond wrote:
>    Ubuntu Canada is not signing the petition (Organizations can't sign
> petitions to parliament, only citizens and residents).

I thought that might be the case, thanks for clarifying this.

>   The organization is just advertising to its members that these
> petitions exist...

I think Corey's post accomplished that part... ...this discussion just
continues that good work...!

> ... and that it would help protect Ubuntu as a viable
> option for people if Canadians signed the petitions.
>
>    The petitions, especially the second one, are pretty fundamental to
> the existence of Ubuntu.   If people don't have the legally protected
> right to make their own choices about what software they run on the
> hardware they own, obviously they can't choose Ubuntu.

Can you elaborate on that point? I read the second petition and the
"more info" blog, and I just don't come to same conclusion. The concern
is with DRM content restrictions (what I can do with a CD I buy or a
song I download, e.g.), is it not?

How would content DRM stop me from using/choosing Ubuntu?

Bear in mind that right now, Ubuntu is organized to work within existing
restrictions. E.g., the default Ubuntu does not include support for
MP3s, WMVs, or other potentially encumbered formats. If a user wants to
consume these with Ubuntu,
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats provides a good way
to get started.

DRM may further restrict my ability to use these restricted formats on
my Ubuntu boxen, but they wouldn't necessarily stop me from using
Ubuntu. Especially on my server, where these formats are irrelevant, or
on my office laptop, where these formats are a "nice to have" (but do
nothing to pay the bills). I might find these restrictions a pain on our
home machines...

...but then perhaps I could obtain a commercial Ubuntu that supports
these formats, similar to ImpiLinux (a Shuttleworth concern in SA).

Or am I missing something?

Please note that I am opposed to DRM in practice and principle. I ask
simply to ensure I understand, and to ensure "truth in advertising" -
let's make sure we all understand how these petitions may be of benefit
to Ubuntu, or, more to the point, how these restrictions may harm our
beloved distro.

>    I don't recommend Ubuntu Canada get involved in lobbying, but do hope
> that Ubuntu members will consider becoming members of CLUE to both fund
> and direct our lobbying efforts.

It's been on my ToDo for a while (since our summer discussion) - time
for me to decide one way or another, I guess....

pww