Endorsement of petitions by Ubuntu Canada?

Peter Whittaker pwwnow at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 12:22:02 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-12-12 at 22:30 -0800, Corey Burger wrote:
> Russel forwarded these on to me. Do you think Ubuntu Canada should put
> our name on these signatures?

We may need to be very careful on this: If an organization - whether
formally constituted or not - endorses a petition, that is, asserts a
position intended to sway the government, is that not on the slippery
slope to lobbying?

I honestly don't know, I'm simply concerned that were ubuntu-ca to
"speak officially", it could affect the organization's ability to do
other work later on, as there are restrictions on the activities
lobbyists may undertake. IANAL, IANARL (reg. lobbyist), IAJSGWATRAMTOE
(just some guy who applies threat and risk assessment methodologies to
everything).

Cathy/dennister, is this in your bailiwick?

If it is something we can engage in, then it would come down to these
questions:

What are the benefits to ubuntu-ca of doing this? and what are the
impacts?

What are the benefits to the petition itself of ubuntu-ca doing this?

I expect that people are going to think me excessively cautious for
raising these questions, but I think one really does have to think
twice**2 and debate thoroughly before engaging what could be considered
lobbying.

FYI, there is also
http://www.onlinerights.ca/get_active/copyright_reform_action/

I wrote my own version of that one, with slightly more emphasis on the
evils of DRM, less emphasis on technology, and more on policy/justice.

pww

ps FWIW, I have signed some of these and will likely sign others.
   As a private individual, I foresee no problems in doing do, and,
   as a private individual and as a consultant, I have no problems
   with sharing my considered and NSH opinions (:->). But having
   an organization express an opinion is, AFAIK, quite a different
   thing entirely.