newbie

Daniel Robitaille robitaille at ubuntu.com
Fri Dec 8 03:04:15 UTC 2006

On 12/7/06, David J Patrick <djp at linuxcaffe.ca> wrote:
> On 07/12/06, Alfred <alfred.s at nexicom.net> wrote:
> > Recently I helped another person here, that had a very much slower
> > machine, and I found that Ubuntu 5.10 was about the newest version that
> > would run on his machine. 6.06 and 6.10 took so long to boot up on his
> > machine, that I never quite got to the desktop, with the install Icon on
> > it!
>
> that doesn't make sense !
> Edgy 6.10 (the latest) is not much bigger and arguably faster to boot and
> run. It's not like there has been a lot of bloat since. That said, I'm still
> recommending 6.06.01 to newbies as it's more stable and more like ly to Just
> Work.

I ran into this problem with my laptop (with its 256mb of RAM).   I
have never been able to run the live CD of Edgy at an usable speed,
and I never managed to get the install from it to work. (it would just
stay there forever while its swaping to disk like crazy).  Firefox in
a live session?  I gave up waiting for it after 20mins.   Never had
these type of problem on that same hardware with Dapper/Breezy/Hoary.
  But the the Edgy alternate CD, with its non-gui installer worked
like a charm.

--
Daniel Robitaille