interest in NPO registration? facts? has this been discussed b4?

Dave Sullivan dave at dave-sullivan.com
Sun Dec 3 03:05:49 UTC 2006

I don't know if this discussion has come up in Ubuntu Canada, but it has
surfaced a number of times since the conception of Ubuntu Toronto in
September. I tend to discourage it, as I believe its not within the
scope of a LoCo team to become a non-profit organization. I also think
that it over-complicates things, especially since Ubuntu Toronto is
still in its infancy.

If you/we want to create a separate entity that is dedicated to FOSS
promotion and advocacy, that's another discussion, and frankly something
I'd love to do.
The separate entity could work hand-in-hand with the LoCo team to fund
the projects and such. Perhaps this is something worth discussing?

I realize a number of Ubuntu Toronto members may or may not be familiar
with the term 'LoCo' and what it entails. There is a great resource [1]
on the Ubuntu wiki about starting and running LoCo teams, which also
covers typical team activities and projects.

It also suggests that there be a central resource per country, and then
sub-groups under that, which is exactly what we're doing in Canada. This
allows us to not only focus on projects locally, but work together
across the country to achieve the same goals.

Hope this sheds some light on the situation.

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoTeamHowto

--
Dave Sullivan
dave at dave-sullivan.com