help

Dave Sullivan demsullivan at gmail.com
Sun Aug 27 20:41:40 UTC 2006

If you download or order the 6.06 LTS CD, it comes with a feature called
LiveCD which lets you play around with it and try it before actually
installing it. The LiveCD is a fully functional system that doesn't
modify your hard drive at all.

For your printer and digital camera, unless you have some obscure make
and model, it will most likely work. Again, this is the benefit of the
Live CD.. you can test them out before installing it for good. Ubuntu
comes installed with OpenOffice.org, which is a functional Office suite
much like Microsoft Office, and supports all of Microsoft's file
formats, including doc, xls and ppt. There is also an Adobe Reader for
linux, or you can use open source PDF readers. There's a selection of
programs that will do this.

As for screensavers and antivirus.. I'm not sure about screensavers. The
ones that you use on Windows will most likely be incompatible with
Linux, since its a different system. However, there may be an equivilent
software that does the same thing. It just requires a bit of
browsing/asking around. Antivirus isn't typically needed on a Linux
system. There are free, open source antivirus software packages, but you
generally don't have to worry about viruses or other malware.

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.
That's what we're here for.

--
Dave Sullivan <demsullivan at gmail.com>
http://wiki.ubuntu.com/DaveSullivan