Canadian version of Ubuntu

Rob Bowers ribowers at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 22:16:54 UTC 2006

"I don't understand how Ubuntu or anyone could or would limit the
distribution of a version to jurisdictions.... ...it will take about two
nanoseconds to get out into the wild ...anyone in the US or Australia or
wherever who wants the codecs will go straight for the codec enabled
version" (Chris).

Precisely! And all the more effective for it.

"... and Ubuntu is back in the legal Twilight Zone." (Chris).

This is the question. Is Ubuntu or are we responsible for Americans, bound
by their own laws, downloading or using a distribution designed to conform
to Canadian laws? (not a rhetorical question -- please answer it).

Suppose some small, distant country were to wholly outlaw open source. Would
the world have to make sure that everything on the internet conformed to
their limitations, lest their nationals acquire it? Likewise, are we obliged
to keep everything on the internet in accordance with American policy? Is
open source American?

Rather than have the *most* restrictive set of policies determine the form
of open source, let the *least* restrictive do.

I say the only meaningful reason for a Canadian distribution would be to
open a version freed of US patent restrictions, not just for Canadians, but
for open source.

Anyway, I am speaking from the heart. Other list members are better
informed, I think, to speak of the legal intricacies of the matter...