Canadian version of Ubuntu

Peter Whittaker pwwnow at gmail.com
Sat Aug 5 12:21:20 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-08 at 19:43 -0700, Daniel Robitaille wrote:
> I'm not convinced of doing a full-fledged Canadian version of Ubuntu
> is worth the effort... a lot of work to build, to host, to distribute
> the CDs... [for a] few extra packages....
>
> ...create "EasyUbuntuCanada" script or application that runs on standard
> Ubuntu... and install these different pieces and artwork... asking...
> which bits the user want.
>
> It's a lot smaller and easier to host on ubuntu.ca.

Good idea. While I really like the idea of pushing the boundaries, there
are issues, as others have pointed out: the current Ubuntu stance on
packaging potentially encumbered content; having one CD per country or
set of countries with relevantly similar laws; mastering and hosting
those CDs; the relatively minor differences between those CDs; etc.

As has also been pointed out, making EasyUbuntuCanada still leaves us
with a two step process, and the user has to know to go looking for the
additional package. It is also Canada specific. A general solution would
be superior, IMHO.

It occurs to me that a much better approach is to integrate installation
of additional locale-dependent content into the install process itself.

I know that some eyes have just popped from their sockets, but humour
me, I think this could work....

I also think we should crawl before we walk, and that we should have a
number of development milestones after each of which work on this
project could pause, or cease altogether, if the overall consensus was
that we'd gone far enough.

There are two overall goals (AFAICT, IMHO, etc.)

	1) A single, common Ubuntu installation system and single,
	   common installation CD.

	2) Ability to offer optional content, the availability of
	   which may depend on local regulations (regulations which
	   will change over time), preferably without requiring users
	   to seek out special-purpose packages, while respecting
	   local regulations.

One way to do this would be to create a "call out" package to be invoked
from the installation process, once the system is in place, networking
available, and locale determined:

	You have completed installation of Ubuntu, your computer
	is ready to go. Since you live in <insert country>, there
	may be additional content available to you. Would you
	like me to check [y|n]?

	The following additional packages are available, please
	select those you wish to install.

This is an "end state" goal (that this system be integrated into the
actual install system). However, if we do this correctly, we'll have a
system that can be called as part of installation, or not. (This is the
milestone-based approach I referred to earlier.)

The benefits of doing this would be that the additional content would be
available and that users would have to "cheat" to get content prohibited
by local law. This is a benefit because it might be enough to shield
Ubuntu while also highlighting the restrictions of local law to the
users. (Both of which are meta-goals, yes?)

In reverse order, the milestones would be something like:

N.	Integrate the LocaleContent package into Ubuntu installation
	as a call-out at the of the process (the user is asked whether
	they wish to invoke it, keeping it optional);

N-1.	Have LocaleContent as part of Main, as the official and
	optional way of providing additional locale-specific content;

N-2.	Have LocaleContent as part of restricted or universe, as
	the community's preferred way of providing additional
	locale-specific content;

N-3.	Populate additional locale-specific servers, with
 	locale-specific or locale-permitted packages (or with
	pointers or references to those packages), and maintain these
	over time (adding/removing content as local regulations change,
	populating servers as locale-specific groups are able to do so)
	ultimately leaving each LocaleContent-XXX sub package as the
	responsibility of a locale-specific group.

N-4	Add LocaleContent to universe or multiverse;

N-5	Populate LocaleContent-Canada with references to packages that
	cannot be part of base Ubuntu but which are permitted in Canada,
	host LocaleContent-Canada on ca.archive.ubuntu.com or
	www.ubuntu.ca;

N-6	Host LocaleContent on www.ubuntu.ca (requires specific download
	not as an apt repository);

N-7	Create LocaleContent, a package that determines the locale,
	queries a locale-specific source of additional packages, and
	asks the user which they wish to install.

Or something more or less like that....

Of course, one potential problem with this is that user could "cheat" by
deliberately mis-specifying their locale during installation, get
additional packages, then change their locale. Should be LocaleContent
police this? Probably not. This is but one of the items for discussion.

Another potential problem, one possibly side-stepped by the "no
policing" idea, would be using this system as a means of removing
locally-objectionable content (don't see how this could work, though, if
invoking the thing were optional - if one were to want this, they would
have to create their own distro to do it, I think.)

Creating an EasyUbuntuCanada has the potential to be a good start on
such a process, if we used EasyUbuntu as a framework from which to
build. The differences between EasyUbuntu and EasyUbuntuCanada could be:
modularization of EasyUbuntu; removal of EasyUbuntu content that is not
permitted in Canada; identification or inclusion of optional,
Canada-specific content (wallpapers, etc.).

Thoughts for Saturday morning,

pww

ps	I'm about to get overwhelmed by other commitments, so I will
	be unable to follow this (or any other threads) for a couple
	of weeks. Apologies for firing and fleeing, I'm not ignoring
	anyone, just heading off-line for a bit....