Canadian version of Ubuntu

Daniel Robitaille robitaille at ubuntu.com
Fri Aug 4 15:15:12 UTC 2006

On 8/4/06, Darryl Moore <darryl at moores.ca> wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-08-03 at 19:43 -0700, Daniel Robitaille wrote:
>
> > I would suggest that a better approach is to create something like a
> > "EasyUbuntuCanada" script or application  that runs on  a standard
> > Ubuntu installation and install these different pieces and artwork for
> > the user; probably asking along the way which bits the user want.
> >

> If the main idea is to make the installation of legal (per Canadian law)
> "Restricted" codecs easier, then this does not accomplish that.

why not?  That script can do what you want it to do.  It can install
extra packages from ubuntu reposititories.  It can also install extra
packages from whatever other source you want, legal or illegal from a
non-canadian point of view.   So instead of creating a whole 700mb ISO
containing your canadianized-Ubuntu distro, you host instead your
smaller bits of binaries you want offer  (i.e, your codecs), and the
script install them for the user.

--
Daniel Robitaille