Supporting Ubuntu growth

Mathieu Charron elwillow at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 15:40:56 UTC 2006

Well, I think that make the decision by yourself is a big step.
I mean, they will choose to have Linux in their PC and they will have choose
to drop windows.

I'm a gamers, well 1 game, and I have to use Windows, I'd like to drop it
but I can't.

One more point, we all use windows because it the "main" operation system
out there. It's simple, fast, end-user. I know, you gonna tell me that
Ubuntu (Linux) can do all that, but who did the biggest marketing? Who have
the government exclusivity (not sure though)? Who can sue a City because
they want to switch to Linux and free software? Who have a monopole?

"5. Sun Motor systems would make a car that was powered by the sun, twice as
reliable, and five times as fast - but it would only run on 5 percent of the
roads."

we can't do more. well, maybe wait... and hope Microsoft go bankrupt!

On 8/1/06, Dave M. Sullivan <demsullivan at gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree with Chris... and I'm going to use a cliche as well: you can
> bring a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.
>
> In other words, its more preferable to *show* someone Linux, and let
> them make the decision for themselves, rather than force them to use
> it. It's true, its quite a scary thing for people who aren't techies,
> or who just use their computers for surfing, email, chatting, etc.
>
> Sure, using Linux even for these things is beneficial, as you don't
> have to put up with constant error messages, spyware, viruses, and the
> like, but as similar as it is and as easy as it is, its still not
> Windows, which means its still different, and it does require some
> level of learning to understand it.
>
> For example, I installed Ubuntu on my girlfriend's computer, and
> offered her the following deal: try it for a week, and if you don't
> like it, I'll remove it. By doing this, I've  allowed her to try it
> out for herself and make her own decision. If she likes it better, she
> can keep it. If she's too used to Windows, that's fine too. You can't
> force someone to like something.
>
> Thoughts on that?
>
> Dave
>
> On 8/1/06, Chris Thompson <cthompsonx at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hmm... You wrote:
> > "Lately I've been asked to repair or update friends, neighbours etc
> > computers, it isn't difficult but I'm not a tech. "
> > A few thoughts..
> >
> > There are techies and then there are techies....I would have to say that
> > anyone who subscribes to this community is, relative to the poulation at
> > large, by definition a techie. The average computer user wouldn't know a
> > Linux kernal from Colonel Klink.
> >
> > "So I'm taking the stance that they MUST switch to Ubuntu Linux, since
> the
> > Windows problems have become a real pain."
> >
> > If you think supporting your Windows friends is a pain, watch what would
> > happen if you installed Ubuntu....you will become 24 hour first line
> > support, help desk, tutor, and designated scapegoat every time anything,
> > however seemingly trivial,  goes wrong.
> >
> > In providing support, whether it be for Windows or Ubuntu or whatever, I
> > would strongly recommend following the philosophy of   "give a man a
> fish
> > and he will eat for a day, teach him to fish and he will eat for the
> rest of
> > his life."
> >
> > Never just fix something under the covers.... provide guidance and only
> > guidance. Never let your fingers touch their keyboard. Help them to
> become
> > self sufficient.
> >
> > Same with guiding someone to linux or ubuntu - give them a Live CD, let
> them
> > play and decide whether they want to use it. Remember, people always go
> > through an ignorance - awareness - understanding - liking,
> andultimatelu\y a
> [...]

Lumiere: "We, girls, should be elegant"
{Kiddy Grade}