CDROM and USB

Peter Whittaker pwwnow at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 13:12:04 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-19-04 at 08:31 -0400, Jonathan Pare wrote:
> When I put a cd or a dvd in my dvd drive, it's not automounting and no
> icon appears on the desktop.
> Same thing with all my usb stuff (card reader, hard disk, mp3 player).
> And when I manually mount my cdrom, I cannot eject my disc ! I push on
> the eject button on my dvd drive and nothing happen.

Jonathan, which version of Ubuntu are you running? For greater clarity,
give us the output of the following command:

	uname -a

There have been bugs in earlier kernels related to device access, etc.
If you are up to date with Dapper, try the following:

1. cd /var/log
2. tail -f syslog
3. try accessing the devices
4. pass along the output gathered in 2