ubuntu-ca Digest, Vol 8, Issue 5

Mario Couture mario_couture at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 10 01:57:48 UTC 2005

Oops,  I guess my message did not come across as I intended, sorry....

What I meant is there are a multitudes of type of users that can use
Linux, and for different reasons. I used my Dad as a sample of one of
those group that probably will never need multimedia capacity, this by
no means diminishes the needs of others, I just saying that for some
people it's ready enough.

I'm too a user, and I've been using it since '94 it's now my default OS,
but that did took some time. I also have a laptop, (dual boot) and I
rarely play DVD in it, (maybe the fact that Windows bluescreen on me 1
out of 2 time I play a DVD does not help :-) I tend to watch movies on
my regular TV at home, so this my basis of comments.

Now about the Canada issue, I do agree that it's more a problem of laws
that started with good intentions (at least I'd like to believe that)
but evolved in things that are slanted in favour of the corporations and
more or less ignores the citizen. I wish there was an easy solution to
that. But maybe the more people uses Linux the more the issues with
these laws that are in favour of shareholders to the detriment of the
citizen may start to be re-evaluated after more and more citizen start
complaining about them. Ok, maybe I'm delusional and this is not in the
real of possibility but but again I'd like to believe it can be
possible.

Now I'll go back to my fantasy world...

Mario.