The Inuit language and Ubuntu

Corey Burger corey.burger at gmail.com
Tue May 3 06:12:42 UTC 2005

Hey All,

Currently, there is not much support for Inuktitut in any computer
software. Thus it occured to me that we should remedy this. The plan
has several facets, some of which are very ambitious.

So here is where we need to go for this to work:

1. Determine what is already translated and get as much of that into
Ubuntu as we can. This google search might be a good start:
http://www.google.ca/search?q=Inuktitut+linux
2. Identify key people to help us move forward. This would be mostly
university people and other translators working in this space.
3. Acquire funding to further translation work, with the goal of 100%
translation. This should primarily from the federal gov.
4. Work with Nunavut and NWT local charities to place computers in
small communities and provide some training.
5. Set up a framework to allow the maintenance translation work to continue.

All of this will work within the framework of Ubuntu, without really
needed to create a deriv.

Thoughts?

Corey