[Bug 262867] Re: brasero hashes the harddrive, causing slowdowns
danielhollocher at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 00:58:15 BST 2008
** Summary changed:
- cd burning causes severe unresponsiveness, and other foul smells
+ brasero hashes the harddrive, causing slowdowns
** Description changed:
- I am having lots of trouble burning a cd image. The default tool makes
- my computer INCREDIBLY laggy. It always lags, and watching the memory,
- it looks like it has NO method of caching at all. I figured the lag
- stems from IO wait stemming from dispersed harddrive requests.
+ Brasero uses /tmp for its temporary work space. /tmp is just a
+ directory on the harddrive, its not RAM. Thus, when brasero tries to do
+ a bunch of work, it ends up swapping to the harddrive, even though you
+ have plenty of ram.
- This was past experience.
+ The work around is to go into properties, and use any tmpfs mount point,
+ which uses the RAM, like /dev/shm
- I tried it again to see if it was still happening that way, and it was,
- so I canceled and rebooted.
- After that I opened up Brasero. Brasero I think inadvertently caches
- because it does a scan of the image before starting again. Thats a
- little better, and works fine for me, since I have 2g of ram, which is
- of course plenty to cache a cd image.
- At some point, I selected to just run a simulation. I started it. I
- lost my mouse. At the time, I thought that my system was just grinding
- to a halt, since, it was grinding to a halt. Later, I realized that my
- keyboard was responding to certain keystrokes, and magically, an alt-tab
- brought everything back to life. I could click again!
- (Note, I said my keyboard was only responding to certain keystrokes.
- Here is what happened. I happened to have a terminal open. I learned
- that I could type in it. I have a shortcut key that can open gnome-
- terminals, but that wasn't working. anyway)
- After the simulation, Brasero decides to burn the cd automatically,
- giving me 10 seconds to cancel. This frustrated me, since I hadn't
- recovered my mouse at the time.
- After it finishes recording, it ejects the cd, and then declares that is
- going to run a checksum on the cd. Except, it never pulls the cd back
- in. Great... I push it back in.
- Now, at the time of this writing, it is stuck at %93 of the checksum
- process. (annd... I'm hitting cancel)
- This is all to burn intrepid alpha 4, so I will check that out, and see
- if I get better results. But, on hardy, this is very buggy.
+ I guess /tmp is for temporary files that you aren't doing allot of I/O
+ on. Anyway, I don't really know whats going on. I don't know why
+ brasero is using files in the first place. I switched, and saw no
+ noticeable increase in my ram usage, so its not like brasero needs a
+ large working space. I don't understand why brasero isn't just
+ allocating the memory it needs, like every other program does.
brasero hashes the harddrive, causing slowdowns
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Burning Team, which is subscribed to brasero in ubuntu.
More information about the Ubuntu-burning