Bug against no particular package

Brian Murray brian at ubuntu.com
Mon Sep 21 23:49:29 UTC 2020

On Sun, Sep 13, 2020 at 01:38:39PM +0200, Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
> Hi!
>
> The Ubuntu desktop guide includes a page with the short story about bug
> reporting:
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/stable/ubuntu-help/report-ubuntu-bug.html
>
> Step 1 in that instruction does not include all cases when a user wants to
> report an issue but has no idea to which package it relates. As a result we
> got <https://launchpad.net/bugs/1873716>.
>
> I would appreciate some advice on whether, and if so how, to modify the
> page. Basically I wonder if we should provide this last resort URL:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug/?no-redirect
>
> The conflict on goals here is obvious, and I'm assuming that it has been
> thoroughly considered already.

There are a couple of issues I see with linking to this url.

1) If the url becomes widely adopted then the redirect is pointless.

2) If we are telling people to use the url then with that comes an
expectation that we are going to look at the bugs without a package[1].
While I used to do this years ago, I don't anymore and I don't think
many other people do.

[1]
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bugs?field.has_no_package=on&orderby=-datecreated

--