Fwd: ubuntu and problems with grub handling??

Sai Vinoba sv at sumati.net
Fri Oct 16 04:52:05 UTC 2020

Hi Fritz,
I could confirm issue you mentioned regarding Ubuntu (and LinuxMint) booting straight into itself instead of showing menu. I found a solution for my issue and hope it helps you too.

Firstly, apologies for making wrong assumptions. I had actually seen your bug reports and posts in mailing list/forums but just wondered if you had taken a look at /etc/default/grub. I should have checked with you to confirm instead of assuming, but did not. At that time I did not have such issue. That is possibly because, I was using one of Debian/Fedora Silverblue/openSUSE grub to boot. Now that I've Ubuntu 20.04 on one PC and LinuxMint on Mac, I can clearly see the issue.

Mine was funnier case than yours. On Ubuntu MATE 20.04, I _had_ grub menu but no matter what I set in /etc/default/grub, it would not boot straight into UM but always showed menu. On the Mac, no matter what changes I made in /etc/default/grub, LM would _not show menu_ and always booted straight into LM.

When I adjusted boot order (using efibootmgr) and used Debian (Buster) to handle grub, the behavior was as expected; if you set DEFAULT_TIMEOUT_STYLE to hidden, it will hide menu and when you disable it, it would show menu.

As Debian had grub version 2.02 and UM 20.04/LM20 had version 2.04, I downgraded the version to 2.02. No luck. That means this issue is present in Ubuntu 18.04/LinuxMint 19 as well. Not checked though.

I noticed that when I used LM to boot, there was an error related to MokListRT but there was no such error when using Debian. It was something like, 'Failed to set MokListRT: Invalid Parameter'. A quick search online informed me that solution was to copy grubx64.efi to shimx64.efi. So, I did,
  # cd /boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu/
  # cp grubx64.efi shimx64.efi

That fixed my problem. Now, LM grub is behaving as per settings in /etc/default/grub. If you set timeout style to hidden, it hides menu and if disabled, shows menu.

I do not know if this is same issue on your end, or if it will be consistent and not be overwritten on next update but you can try.

To sum up,
1) make sure "DEFAULT_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden" is commented out in /etc/default/grub in order to see menu.
2) copy grubx64.efi to shimx64.efi in /boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu/

Regards,
Sai