Only 1024x768 display resolution for Kubuntu in KVM VM

Christian Ehrhardt christian.ehrhardt at canonical.com
Mon Jun 22 06:28:05 UTC 2020

On Sat, Jun 20, 2020 at 4:18 AM Neil Nelson <nnelson at infowest.com> wrote:

> On Ubuntu-Studio yesterday I saw they were going from Xubuntu to Kubuntu
> for the 20.10 release and made some good statements about it. I downloaded
> the Kubuntu 20.04 ISO and created a KVM VM on my Xubuntu host to check it
> out. The low memory and CPU usage are very good and it has a great look.
>
> I tried to change the resolution to 1920x1080 but it would instantly snap
> back to 1024x768 each time. I have a 1920x1080 resolution in both Xubuntu
> and Ubuntu VMs and my monitor and video card support that resolution. It
> would be great to have the higher resolution for the Kubuntu VM.

Hi Neil,
the usual default for KVM graphics would be to present a QXL driver to the
guest and a spice connection for the host.
That can run higher resolutions, the question now is how you have started
your guest.

Did you run qemu-system-* directly, if so which commandline arguments did
you use?
If you run it through libvirt what does the guest XML definition look like?
Finally in the guest you might take a look with `lspci -v` which virtual
graphic card you got presented.

E.g. in case you fell back to the much older cirrus default and that with
low memory it could explain the lack of resolution options.

Kind regards,
Christian

> Neil Nelson

Christian Ehrhardt