Only 1024x768 display resolution for Kubuntu in KVM VM

Sai Vinoba sv at sumati.net
Sat Jun 20 13:58:14 UTC 2020

On Fri, 19 Jun 2020 20:17:44 -0600, Neil Nelson <nnelson at infowest.com> wrote:

> On Ubuntu-Studio yesterday I saw they were going from Xubuntu to Kubuntu
> for the 20.10 release and made some good statements about it. I
> downloaded the Kubuntu 20.04 ISO and created a KVM VM on my Xubuntu host
> to check it out. The low memory and CPU usage are very good and it has a
> great look.
>
> I tried to change the resolution to 1920x1080 but it would instantly
> snap back to 1024x768 each time. I have a 1920x1080 resolution in both
> Xubuntu and Ubuntu VMs and my monitor and video card support that
> resolution. It would be great to have the higher resolution for the
> Kubuntu VM.
>
> Neil Nelson
> --

Hi Neil,
I have faced this issue with KDE. You have to change video driver (Graphics Controller) for your virtual machine to be VBoxVGA (or may be VBoxSVGA) but _not_ VMSVGA on VirtualBox. If you are on KVM (Virt-Manager?), it would be VGA not QXL.

This is for KDE only; other DEs I used did not exhibit this issue. Don't know the technical details for this issue.

Regards,

Sai