[Ubuntu-bugcontrol] I have written a draft for the Reporting Bugs guide

C de-Avillez hggdh2 at ubuntu.com
Wed May 31 00:43:22 UTC 2017

On Tue, 30 May 2017 20:33:34 +0200
Alberto Salvia Novella <es20490446e at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry but I spend an hour writing an answer to these emails, but even
> then I ended with something extra long that I think nobody will read
> or understand.

Writing is easy. Anybody can write. But *good* writing is difficult. We
have to try. We have to re-work what was written. We have to change
sequence of ideas. We have, at the worst, to consider that all we had
written bad enough to be thrown away, and re-start. And, if we publish,
we have to be willing to read the critics, and try to improve.

But, if we do not try, and persevere, we will never be able to write
something that can be understood.

I have already, in a previous email in this thread, given you some
ideas on how to write. Try them. Research for other tips. Try them.
Listen to critics (which, usually, will be a written text). Respond in
writing.

> In fact that's what usually happens when I answer in text. On the
> other hand when I use video in a couple of minutes I'm usually done.

But you are *writing* a wiki page. How will you be able to write it if
you cannot justify your proposal in writing (H/T to Gunnar
Hjalmarsson, good point).

[in fact the hat tip above comes to show that *others* can have good
insights. I am not infallible. Nobody is.]

> I will simply keep those as short as possible. And instead of making
> a monologue, with all the information, I would simulate an actual
> conversation. Usually with 10-20 seconds answers.
>
> (https://youtu.be/L45EqUl2q4M)

I will not listen to it. If you can *talk* your points, you can as well
*listen* to your own speech, and transcribe it. Then you put the
transcription in an email and, lo and behold, you have written text.

Cheers,

..C..