Skylake Iris 540 renderer string in i965 (the same as HD 520)

Michal Powalko m.powalko at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 19:00:14 UTC 2016

Dear Ben and Michal,
dear Ubuntu-bugsquad,

I have recently bought a new Skylake based NUC with Intel® Core(TM)
i5-6260U processor and Intel® Iris(TM) graphics 540. I am working on
Ubunut 14.04.3 LTS (kernel 4.2) and waiting for 16.04 (kernel 4.4) to
take advantage of both CPU (from Linux kernels > 4.3) and GPU full
support. The 16.04 beta 2 is quite "unstable" in terms of Skylake GPU
(see e.g. the archlinux source), so I tried to find out the walk-around
to make it work more stable...

I have found out Mesa  commit "i965/skl: Update Skylake renderer
strings" describing the device ID's of different GPU's. In case of my
NUC, according the ARK' info Iris 540 has the ID of 0x1916, which in
Mesa 11.x file has associated with HD 520 :( I did some research and
found out, that the ID of 0x1916 can be used for HD 520 and Iris 540
(see attached screen-shots and links below) depending on the CPU :/

 1. Would it be possible for You to find out the solution to assign the
    proper GPU name base on ID (Iris 540 in case of i5-6260U) -  maybe
    using CPU info ?
 2. Can the wrong name / feature assessment between HD 520 and Iris 540
    be the source of unstable operation / freeze / crash of the system
    (system working well but slow with Gallium3Ddriver)?

I would be really happy to help You providing more information if necessary.

Sources:

  * Mesa commit
    https://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/commit/?h=11.2&id=20e8ee36627f87414440650dcff89990eb70c688

  * Wiki is saying:  Iris Graphics 540, *GT3e* - 48 execution units with
    64 MB of eDRAM, up to 806.4 GFLOPS at 1.05 GHz
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_HD_and_Iris_Graphics
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_graphics_processing_units

  * Intel graphics on linux
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/intel_graphics