Bug preventing booting with an encrypted system drive

Stuart Burns stuart at itburns.me
Wed Feb 17 13:29:43 UTC 2016

Hi Everyone,

I have found a bug and could do with some help . I did check to see if
it exists but as far as I can see it does not. I also tried using the
automated bug reporting tool but that didn't seem to have the required
options.

I have installed Xubuntu 15 on my HP ProDesk 405 G2 MT tower from DVD
media. During installation I chose to use the encrypt disk option during
setup using the wizard. The system installation completed without issue.

Once this was done I manually ran the update tool. It installed a kernel
update as well as other updates such as Firefox. On reboot however I am
no longer able to enter my encryption key. I am presented with the
splash screen that invites me to type in the key and instead of being
entered in the decryption key screen it writes the text to the upper
left hand screen and even if I enter the password it will not accept it
and boot.

I was using a Bluetooth keyboard (Logitech MK700) but on repeating the
test with a directly plugged in USB keyboard I get the same issue.

The only was to fix the issue and being able to to boot is to choose the
4.2.0-16 kernel and doing that works fine with no issue with both of
the keyboards. This setup has 2 monitors attached. One is DisplayPort to
VGA and one is standard VGA connectors.

Current kernel:

stuart at ProDesk:~$ uname -a
Linux ProDesk 4.2.0-16-generic #19-Ubuntu SMP Thu Oct 8 15:35:06 UTC
2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

The current list of installed kernels is below

stuart at ProDesk:~$ sudo dpkg --list | grep linux-image
ii  linux-image-4.2.0-16-generic
4.2.0-16.19                                amd64        Linux kernel
image for version 4.2.0 on 64 bit x86 SMP
ii  linux-image-4.2.0-27-generic
4.2.0-27.32                                amd64        Linux kernel
image for version 4.2.0 on 64 bit x86 SMP
ii  linux-image-extra-4.2.0-16-generic
4.2.0-16.19                                amd64        Linux kernel
extra modules for version 4.2.0 on 64 bit x86 SMP
ii  linux-image-extra-4.2.0-27-generic
4.2.0-27.32                                amd64        Linux kernel
extra modules for version 4.2.0 on 64 bit x86 SMP
ii  linux-image-generic                           4.2.0.27.30

The lscpu output is below if that helps.

stuart at ProDesk:~$ lscpu
Architecture:          x86_64
CPU op-mode(s):        32-bit, 64-bit
Byte Order:            Little Endian
CPU(s):                4
On-line CPU(s) list:   0-3
Thread(s) per core:    1
Core(s) per socket:    4
Socket(s):             1
NUMA node(s):          1
Vendor ID:             AuthenticAMD
CPU family:            22
Model:                 48
Model name:            AMD A8-6410 APU with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics
Stepping:              1
CPU MHz:               1000.000
CPU max MHz:           2000.0000
CPU min MHz:           1000.0000