Problems with docummentation reporting bugs

Julian Alarcon alarconj at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 22:19:33 UTC 2016

Hi Bruce

I marked as duplicated after I tried multiple times to add the crash
information to the existing (duplicated) bug.

As I couldn't make that I prefer to report a new bug and mark the old bug
(with less information and old) as a duplicated bug of the new (both
reported by me).

The documentation is wrong, i guess.

On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 10:28 AM, Bruce Pieterse <dev at otq.za.net> wrote:

> On 26/04/2016 17:22, Bruce Pieterse wrote:
>

>> On 26/04/2016 16:43, Julian Alarcon wrote:
>>
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> I tried multiple times to upload a .crash report to an existing bug with
>>> no success. Cheking the official documentation, I see that maybe there
>>> is an error in some of the steps to upload existing reports to existing
>>> bugs.
>>>

>>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs#Filing_bugs_when_offline_or_using_a_headless_setup
>>>

>>> When I tried this:
>>>
>>>   *
>>>
>>>     ubuntu-bug -c /<apport_file.extension>/ -u /<bug number>/
>>>
>>> I got this error:
>>>
>>> test at CO1WDJ39M6V1U:/var/crash$ ubuntu-bug -c
>>> /var/crash/_usr_bin_remmina.1001.crash -u 1515240
>>> /usr/share/apport/apport-gtk:16: PyGIWarning: Wnck was imported without
>>> specifying a version first. Use gi.require_version('Wnck', '3.0') before
>>> import to ensure that the right version gets loaded.
>>>    from gi.repository import GLib, Wnck, GdkX11, Gdk
>>> Usage: ubuntu-bug [options] [symptom|pid|package|program
>>> path|.apport/.crash file]
>>>
>>> ubuntu-bug: error: -u/--update-bug option cannot be used together with
>>> options for a new report
>>>
>>> Can you confirm if this is a real problem in the documentation?
>>>
>>> Thank you!
>>> --
>>> Julian Alarcon
>>>

>> Hi Julian,
>>
>> If it is a new bug report, you can omit the -u <bug number> option. If
>> you are adding more information to an existing bug report then you can
>> use -u <bug number>.
>>
>> It mentions this in the link you provided:
>>
>> "If this is to be added to an existing bug report, also use the -u option:
>>
>>      ubuntu-bug -c <apport_file.extension> -u <bug number>
>> "
>>
>> But what you want is:
>>
>> "When the file is ready, copy it to the system you intend to use for
>> filing the report. There you can then file the report:
>>
>>      ubuntu-bug -c <apport_file.extension>
>> "
>>
>> Another way of doing it, as mentioned in the docs is just run:
>>
>> ubuntu-bug /var/crash/application-name.crash
>>
>> Hope that helps.
>>

> Julian,
>
> My apologies, I misread your first sentence! That bug report is a
> duplicate of another bug report, but it has no reference to the other bug
> report.
>
> Perhaps the documentation is correct but due to the bug being marked as a
> duplicate of another bug, it can't be uploaded. Perhaps try tracking down
> the new bug version and try to submit the crash file against the new bug
> number.
>
> I'm assuming this is the reason, but hopefully some one with more
> experience with apport can comment.
>

> --
> All the best,
>
> Bruce