Bug 622179 Being Wishlist/Won't Fix on Debian Change.

C de-Avillez hggdh2 at ubuntu.com
Mon Jun 2 13:48:58 UTC 2014

On Sun, Jun 1, 2014 at 8:21 AM, Ralph Corderoy <ralph at inputplus.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Please CC as I'm not subscribed.
>
> The description for
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+bug/622179 raised by me
> complains the error messages produced by debian/local/xserver-wrapper.c
> are poor and could be improved.  (It's being polite.)
>
> Bryce Harrington made it Triaged/Low back in 2010/11.  And there it sat.
> In 2014, Christopher M. Penalver (penalvch) made it Won't-Fix/Wishlist
> whilst asking if it could be recreated on xorg's trunk.  Clearly, it
> can't be as it is a Debian-specific feature.
>
> Since then, there's been a bit of to and fro, with Christopher bringing
> in Julien Cristau as he's contributed to Debian's xserver-wrapper.c now
> and again.  AIUI the current status is Christopher thinks
> Won't-Fix/Wishlist should remain because I'm "requesting a fundamental
> change" whereas Julien thinks it should be fixed and then the fix sent
> upstream to Debian.
>
> I thought what used to happen with this kind of bug is another could be
> raised on Debian and Ubuntu's bug track it.  Then a fix would appear on
> one or the other and both would end up closed.  Is Won't-Fix/Wishlist
> subjectively correct for this bug?

It can be discussed. I personally do not see much to be gained on
adding the current permissions of the file (er, socket), but it
certainly would not hurt. It would be even better if you could zero in
the underlying issue and report on it (or, perhaps, even provide a
fix).

I suggest you open this on Debian itself, and then link the Debian bug
here. If Debian accepts it, then this bug will be, by definition,
valid again (and, eventually, we will sync it in).

Cheers,

..C..