We could automatically clean End Of Life bugs

Daniel Letzeisen dtl131 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 19 19:11:10 UTC 2014

On 07/19/2014 12:54 PM, Maarten Bezemer wrote:

> EOL bugs can still be present in active releases... So just closing these bugs
> without checking if it is still present, is wasting the efforts of the
> reporters ... and does not show much respect
> toward these reporters (in my opinion).

Yes, they can still be present, but unless the reporter confirms that it
is still present in a supported release, the bug should automatically go
to Incomplete if it is tagged with EOL release(s). I do not agree that
it is disrespectful, since marking it Incomplete gives the user two
months to confirm that they still experience it with a supported
version. In fact, I think users find it more disrespectful when their
report stays open for years without response and basically goes into a
state of limbo.

Oh, and I also find it odd that apport allows users to file bugs with
EOL releases..

> (just to have a low open bug count.)

Bug count is not a terribly useful metric itself, but lower bug count
makes searching easier/quicker.