[Community Help Wiki] Update of "ReportingBugs" by penalvch

Help Ubuntu webmaster at ubuntu.com
Sun Dec 21 11:10:12 UTC 2014

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Community Help Wiki" for change notification.

The "ReportingBugs" page has been changed by penalvch:
http://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs?action=diff&rev1=277&rev2=278

Comment:
1) RM'ed all double spaces before/after titles as it makes it harder to scroll through sections when editing. 2) Added common objections to BIOS updates w/ rationale.

  ||<tablestyle="float:right; font-size: 0.9em; width:40%; background:#F1F1ED; margin: 0 0 1em 1em;" style="padding:0.5em;"><<TableOfContents>>||

-
  = How to report bugs =

  Ubuntu uses [[Launchpad]] to keep track of bugs and their fixes. This page will guide you through the steps required to file a good and detailed report.

-
  == Create a Launchpad account ==

  If you don’t already have one - you need to [[https://help.launchpad.net/YourAccount/NewAccount|create a Launchpad account]]. This will allow you to file new bugs and comment on existing ones.
-

  == Determine if the bug is really a bug ==

@@ -30, +27 @@

  /!\ If you want to file a translation or misspelling bug, follow the instructions [[#translation|here]].

-
  == Perform a survey of your problem ==

  First, check the release notes for your version of Ubuntu:
@@ -39, +35 @@

   * [[https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TrustyTahr/ReleaseNotes#Known_issues|Ubuntu 14.04 (Trusty Tahr)]] <<BR>>
  Second, check Launchpad for any duplicates, and make note of this.

-
  === Desktop Applications ===

  For [[https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingProcedures#Desktop_Applications|desktop applications]], if you find an already reported bug that is exactly like the problem you have, please feel free to add this information to the existing report, rather than opening a new one. However, if you have any doubt as to it being the same or not, please file a separate report.

  [[#Top|Back to top]]

-
  == Reporting an application crash in the development release ==

  Please report an application crash via the methods outlined below and at [[https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingProgramCrash]].

  If an application crashes, and you're using a development release, Apport should start automatically, raising an appropriate bug report for you to complete in Launchpad. This report is subsequently processed by [[Apport Retracing Service]], in order to provide developers with debugging information that make it easier to fix the problem.
-

  == Reporting an application crash in the stable release ==

@@ -84, +77 @@

  /!\ apport will appear to upload a crash report, but only actually does so if whoopsie is installed. Whoopsie is installed by default for users of ubuntu-desktop, but for users of alternative desktops, or for server users, whoopsie has to be installed manually with ''apt-get install whoopsie''. See [[https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xubuntu-meta/+bug/1001630|bug #1001630]] for details.

-
  == Reporting a system crash ==

  If your system lockups up, freezes, logs you out, etc., then this is not an application crash, but a system crash. Please see below, and consult the following article for these types of problems [[https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DebuggingSystemCrash]].

-
  == Reporting non-crash hardware and desktop application bugs ==

  The method for reporting bugs in Ubuntu is by using the tool “ubuntu-bug”, otherwise known as '''Apport'''. When reporting a bug, you must tell Apport which program or [[https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallingSoftware#What%20is%20a%20package?|package]] is at fault.
-

  === Collecting information from a specific package ===

@@ -103, +93 @@

  Then, type `ubuntu-bug <package name>` and press Enter. If you’re not sure which package has the problem, refer to the instructions for [[https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/FindRightPackage|finding the right package]].

-
  === Collecting information about a program with a window open ===

  If you want to file a bug about an application but you don't know what that application's package name is, if it has an open window you are in luck.
@@ -114, +103 @@

  After you close the dialog the next window that you click on will have a problem report created for the package that created the window.

-
  === Collecting information from a currently running program ===

  To file a bug against a program that is currently running, open the System Monitor application and find the ID of the process.
@@ -125, +113 @@

  ||<style="border: 1px solid black">{{attachment:unity-ubuntu-bug-pid.png | Filing a bug with the “Run Command” screen and a process ID}}||

-
  == Filing a general bug against no particular package ==

  First, please review potential package candidates [[https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/FindRightPackage|here]]. Only after reviewing this, if are still not sure which package is affected by the bug, type `ubuntu-bug` in the “Run Command” screen and press Enter. This will guide you through a series of questions to gather more information about the bug and help you assign it to the appropriate package.

  [[#Top|Back to top]]
-

  == Complete the bug report filing process ==

@@ -184, +170 @@

  When you're done, click "Submit bug report".

-
  == Warn about a critical bug ==

  If the bug you just reported causes '''data corruption''' or renders the system temporally or permanently '''unusable''', please [[mailto:Alberto Salvia Novella <es20490446e at gmail.com>?subject=Please, triage this critical bug|warn about it]].
-

  = Tips and tricks =

@@ -213, +197 @@

  You will need to answer a few questions, and a web browser will be launched to complete the bug report. Please do not attach the `.apport` or `.crash` file to the report, as this is not the same as performing the above mentioned steps.

-
  == Filing bugs at Launchpad.net ==

  If for some reason you cannot file a bug using the ''Apport'' tool you can file one via [[https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug/?no-redirect | Launchpad's own bug report form]]. When doing so it is best if you have determined which package it should be filed against. Read '[[http://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/FindRightPackage|finding the right package]]' for guidance or use [[ http://launchpad.net/ubuntu/ | Launchpad's package search feature ]]. We don't recommend this method for most bug reports because they will likely be missing crucial information, use ubuntu-bug if you can!
@@ -225, +208 @@

  where PACKAGENAME is the name of the source package about which you want to file the bug report.

  In the event that you want to request a piece of software be packaged for Ubuntu please follow the instructions in the [[ https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopment/NewPackages#Requesting%20a%20new%20package%20for%20Ubuntu | wiki ]].
-

  == Crashes ==

@@ -243, +225 @@

  sudo apt-get -y install python-launchpadlib
  }}}

-
  === Package libreoffice not installed and no hook available, ignoring ===

  If one attempts to apport-collect and gets the error message: {{{
@@ -252, +233 @@

  sudo apt-get -y install libreoffice
  }}}

-
  === Crash reports ===

  If your attachment is a crash report (ex. found in directory /var/crash), please do not attach it to an existing report. Instead, file a new report via a terminal so that [[https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ApportRetracingService|Apport Retracing Service]] may process it:
@@ -260, +240 @@

  ubuntu-bug my_crash_report.crash
  }}}

-
  === Non-crash userspace bugs ===

  Sometimes it is useful to take a picture (with a camera or via PrtSc button), or [[https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Screencast|screencast]] of the problem to demonstrate how you reproduced it, what the bug specifically shows, and the impact it has.

  <<Anchor(translation)>>
-

  == Filing a translation bug ==

@@ -284, +262 @@

  All translation issues should be filed against the [[https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-translations | Ubuntu Translations project]]. From there the bugs will be triaged and assigned to the right person and package.

  [[#Top|Back to top]]
-

  = Bug reporting etiquette =

@@ -315, +292 @@

   * '''Please check to see if you problem is a regression.''' <<BR>> If your bug is a regression, it is most helpful to have it bisected. If it is a linux kernel issue, one would consult the article on [[https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/KernelBisection|bisection]]. Report your bisect results in the report.
   * '''Please do not run apport-collect more than once per release tested.''' <<BR>> For example, if you originally reported a bug in Trusty via Apport, and then could reproduce it in Utopic, only run apport-collect once in Trusty. This minimizes unnecessary E-Mail traffic to those subscribed to your report and keeps the report efficient.

-
  == Hardware bug reports (linux kernel, xorg, sound, etc.) ==

-  * '''Before filing your report, please update your BIOS, and hardware firmware (CF card readers, SSDs, USB 3.0 controllers, DVD/CD drives, external USB drives, etc.) to the newest available from your vendor.''' <<BR>> Outdated and buggy BIOS and firmware is a common cause of a variety of hardware issues (ex. freezing after lightDM login, intermittent wireless, suspend/hibernate not working, intermittent touchpad, certain keys on keyboard not working correctly, card readers not working, and kernel panics after plugging USB drive in). Also, please don't make the invalid argument that because it works in Windows, but doesn't in linux, this isn't caused by an outdated BIOS. This is due to how buggy BIOS problems may manifest themselves in linux, but not in Windows, and vice versa. As well, because BIOS vendors typically test to Windows only and make release notes commenting on results to it, it wouldn't advise on if a problem in linux is resolved by it. Hence, one should update anyways, even if your problem isn't specifically mentioned. In addition, BIOS updates are for collateral damage avoidance. For more about BIOS updates, please see [[https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BiosUpdate|here]].
+  * '''Before filing your report, please update your BIOS, and hardware firmware (CF card readers, SSDs, USB 3.0 controllers, DVD/CD drives, external USB drives, etc.) to the newest available from your vendor.''' <<BR>> Outdated and buggy BIOS and firmware is a common cause of a variety of issues. For example, freezing after lightDM login, intermittent wireless, suspend/hibernate not working, intermittent touchpad, certain keys on keyboard not working correctly, card readers not working, and kernel panics after plugging USB drive in (this is by no means an exhaustive list). In addition, BIOS updates are for collateral damage avoidance. Here are some statement that don't justify keeping your BIOS outdated: {{{
+ "It works in Windows, but doesn't in linux, so this isn't caused by my buggy and outdated BIOS."
+ }}} Buggy BIOS problems may manifest themselves in linux, but not in Windows, and vice versa. <<BR>><<BR>> {{{
+ "It doesn't say anything in the release notes about linux/Ubuntu, so I don't need to upgrade my buggy and outdated BIOS"
+ }}} BIOS vendors typically test and have release note commentary about Windows only, so it wouldn't ever advise on if a problem in linux is resolved by it. <<BR>><<BR>> {{{
+ "I didn't change anything in the BIOS, and this problem started happening after restarting from an update, so this is not due to my buggy and outdated BIOS."
+ }}} Updates to Ubuntu can cause buggy BIOS problems to manifest that the prior version did not. The solution is to update a buggy and outdated BIOS, not rely on unintentional WORKAROUNDs. <<BR>><<BR>> {{{
+ "It's Ubuntu's job to provide me a way to update my buggy and outdated BIOS, so I'm not updating."
+ }}} The responsibility to keep the BIOS updated lies solely with owner of the hardware. However, as a courtesy to the Ubuntu Community, update methods that may not have been offered by your BIOS vendor are available [[https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BiosUpdate|here]]. <<BR>><<BR>> {{{
+ "Updating my buggy and outdated BIOS is risky."
+ }}} Everything one does with any operating system, application, or hardware has some level of risk, from upgrading software (upgrade breaks functionality or security), to servicing hardware (static electricity, accidently bend/break the hardware, etc.). However, one simply eliminates or largely minimizes these risks with common sense techniques. In the case of a BIOS update, one ensures the power supply is not interrupted during the upgrade. As well, one may contact their computer vendor for further advice. <<BR>><<BR>> {{{
+ "I don't feel like updating my buggy and outdated BIOS."
+ }}} This is not respecting the additional effort triagers and developers would have to put in to not only look at the code to see if it is correct (which is difficult enough), but to also think of all the ways a non-compliant BIOS could manifest problems given the code change.
   * '''One report, per person, per hardware combination, per bug'''. <<BR>> Many [[https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux|Linux]] package, hardware, and other non-user space bugs are hardware dependent on both the hardware itself, and what other hardware the problematic hardware is connected to. For more on this please see [[https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/BestPractices#X.2BAC8-Reporting.Focus_on_One_Issue|here]], and further below in this article.
   * '''Please do not post comments to another persons report, claiming you have the same or similar hardware or problem.''' <<BR>> Instead, please file a separate report, and make comments there. This is because no one can verify if you would have the same problem or not, because your hardware can not be analyzed. Also, vendors can have different parts under the hood of the same model line.
   * ''' Please do not attempt to apport-collect to another persons report.''' <<BR>> Running apport-collect when not specifically asked by a triager or developer creates spammy E-Mail traffic for those subscribed, clutters up the bug report with undesired attachments, and hinders the bug getting addressed quickly. As well, your attachments are subject to immediate deletion at the discretion of developers and triagers. Instead, please open a new report via ubuntu-bug. Please note that attempting to run `apport-collect bug_number` against a [[https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux|linux]] package bug report, while booted into a [[https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/MainlineBuilds|mainline]] linux kernel will not work. This is due to how Ubuntu does not provide support for mainline kernels. For more on this, please see [[https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/MainlineBuilds#Kernel.2BAC8-FAQ.2BAC8-DebuggingMainlineBuildsSupport.Does_the_kernel_team_support_the_mainline_kernel_builds.3F|here]].
@@ -341, +329 @@

   * [[https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs_de|Deutsch]]
  [[#Top|Back to top]]

-