I'm running an experiment about reporting upstream

Alberto Salvia Novella es20490446e at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 15:41:06 UTC 2014

Rohan Garg:
> The reason Kubuntu went with that approach is because we wanted the
> developers to directly interact with the bug reporter
> instead of Kubuntu Developers trying to spend trying to reproduce the
> bug and then reporting it upstream.

And why you decided to set its status to "invalid"? Wouldn't this
prevent downstream contributors to find and fix KDE bugs themselves?

Brian Murray:
 > I think it would be a good idea to identify these bug reports with a
 > tag so that if you are "hit by a bus" we can easily find these bug
 > reports.
 > Additionally, it would also allow other people to watch the
 > experiment.

Tag added to <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Tags#Generic_bug_tags> as
"asked-to-upstream".

Stephen M. Webb:
 > I don't see why you would single out one particular upstream bug
 > tracker for special treatment.  If someone, for example, files a bug
 > against the Compiz package in Ubuntu I'd want to see it sent upstream
 > to Compiz, which happens to track its upstream bugs in Launchpad.

The real topic of this conversation is not about reporting upstream, but
about who shall fill a new report when that is required for reporting to
upstream.