Critical install bug in trusty: ubuntu silently erases all partitions

staticd staticd.growthecommons at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 11:59:16 UTC 2014

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/1265192

The ubiquity installer option "replace windows with trusty" or
"replace older version of ubuntu with trusty" silently erases the
WHOLE harddisk (all partitions and data).

This was a problem in 13.10 but we are going to face a whole new rash
of angry users who were waiting for 14.04 to reinstall their old OS.

I'm on a roaming mobile network and can't download the iso but I saw
the bug has not yet been closed. Can someone please check if the issue
persists. (Sorry if this is just a false alarm)

Steps to reproduce:
Choose the "replace OS" option in the ubiquity installer on a computer
(or VM) with a separate OS partition (Windows C: or Linux /) and one
or more data partitions (Windows D: or Linux /Home). The whole hard
disk and _all_ partitions will be erased.

Can a last minute post release bug fix be applied to the iso? I think
it is pretty important.
Basic Fix:
Disable the replace OS option or rename it to Erase Entire Disk.

Thanks.