What we have learned from the Bug Day

C de-Avillez hggdh2 at ubuntu.com
Wed Sep 18 15:52:40 UTC 2013

On Wed, 18 Sep 2013 16:35:06 +0200
Alberto Salvia Novella <es20490446e at gmail.com> wrote:

> The 18/09/13 07:21, Walter Garcia-Fontes wrote:
> > I think one of the tasks of the bug squad is to review this old
> > never attended bugs, ask the users if they still see the issue

Certainly.

> /I agree, but I also see bugs for the //*latest release*//of being of
> much higher interest in general./

The sad fact is we have many more bugs reported than we can timely look
at.

But another sad fact is that a bug is not more, or less, important just
based on its age. All open bugs, still untriaged, should be looked at.
If a bug was reported for a release that is now EOL, we still have to
check if it is applicable for the currently-supported releases. If it
is, then we should mark it as so (by adding a comment describing the
current version(s) affected, tagging with an updated release, and --
in general -- triaging it. Note that triaging also means setting the
importance.

Ubuntu, or any other distribution, is not only make of the current,
in-development version.

<snip/>

> The 18/09/13 07:21, Walter Garcia-Fontes wrote:
> > That's life! In my experience 99% of the reports are either
> > incomplete (lack information to reproduce), invalid or non
> > reproducible.
> /In mine, when you //*learn*//how to search Launchpad and read the
> bugs, you can rapidly bypass the irrelevant ones and get tons of bugs
> which your contribution will be appreciated./

This brings up a different pet-peeve of mine: bugs are *technical*
reports. They should be opened by *technical-savvy* people. A BTS
should, then, be a restricted resource, with new bugs being "promoted"
from non-technical reports written elsewhere (like
answers.ubuntu.com, sort of abandoned nowadays, or ask.ubuntu.com, or
whatever).

But this is a different discussion.

> The 18/09/13 07:21, Walter Garcia-Fontes wrote:
> > And don't forget the main goal of this squad is triaging, not
> > fixing bugs.
> /I think this to be the golden rule; to //*focus*//in the job that no
> one else can do, or will do in a higher expenditure of time://
> /
>
>   * /*Reporters*//to write bug reports and to improve them as asked./
>   * /*BugSquad*//to confirm bug reports and to notify them upstream//
>     /
>   * /*BugControl*//to review bugs reports with higher probability of
>     being ready to be workable/
>   * /*Programers*////to patch triaged bugs/

Indeed.

Cheers,

..C..

--