[Ubuntu GNOME Team] Call For Help!

Iberê Fernandes ibere.fernandes at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 15:25:27 UTC 2013

2013/10/31 Alberto Salvia Novella <es20490446e at gmail.com>

>  An extract of "Rework: Change the way you work forever"<http://sharkinfestedcustard.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/rework-jason-fried.pdf>
> :*
> **
>
> *
>
> *Throw less at the problem*
>
> Watch chef Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares and you'll see a pattern. The
> menus at failing restaurants offer too many dishes. The owners think
> making every dish
> under the sun will broaden the appeal of the restaurant. Instead it makes
> for crappy food
> (and creates inventory headaches).
>
> That's why Ramsay's first step is nearly always to trim the menu, usually
> from
> thirty-plus dishes to around ten. Think about that. Improving the current
> menu doesn't
> come first. Trimming it down comes first. Then he polishes what's left.
>
> When things aren't working, the natural inclination is to throw more at the
> problem. More people, time, and money. All that ends up doing is making
> the problem
> bigger. The right way to go is the opposite direction: Cut back.
>
> So do less. Your project won't suffer nearly as much as you fear. In fact,
> there's agood chance
> it'll end up even better. You'll be forced to make tough calls and sort out
> what truly matters.
> If you start pushing back deadlines and increasing your budget, you'll
> never stop.
>

> *Embrace constraints*
>
> "I don't have enough time/money/people/experience." Stop whining. Less is a
> good thing. Constraints are advantages in disguise. Limited resources
> force you to make
> do with what you've got. There's no room for waste. And that forces you to
> be creative.
> Ever seen the weapons prisoners make out of soap or a spoon? They make do
> with what they've got. Now we're not saying you should go out and shank
> somebody--but
> get creative and you'll be amazed at what you can make with just a little.
>
> Writers use constraints to force creativity all the time. Shakespeare
> reveled in the
> limitations of sonnets (fourteen-line lyric poems in iambic pentameter
> with a specific
> rhyme scheme). Haiku and limericks also have strict rules that lead to
> creative results.
> Writers like Ernest Hemingway and Raymond Carver found that forcing
> themselves to
> use simple, clear language helped them deliver maximum impact.
>
> The Price Is Right, the longest-running game show in history, is also a
> great
> example of creativity born from embracing constraints. The show has more
> than a
> hundred games, and each one is based on the question "How much does this
> item cost?"
> [...]

Wow, thank you for sharing Alberto!

I'd like to add my 2 cents, quoted from John Maeda's Laws of Simplicity:

TEN LAWS
1 reduce
The simplest way to achieve simplicity is through thoughtful reduction.
2 organize
3 time
Organization makes a system of many appear fewer.
Savings in time feel like simplicity.
4 learn
Knowledge makes everything simpler.
5 diΩerences
Simplicity and complexity need each other.
6 context What lies in the periphery of simplicity is definitely not
peripheral.
7 emotion More emotions are better than less.
8 trust
In simplicity we trust.
9 failure
10 the one Some things can never be made simple. Simplicity is about
subtracting the obvious, and adding the meaningful.

THREE KEYS
1 away More appears like less by simply moving it far, far away.
2 open Openness simplifies complexity.
3 power
Use less, gain more.

TED video:
http://www.ted.com/talks/john_maeda_on_the_simple_life.html

Book: ( you may find it in other places...)
http://www.scan-shipping.com/template/scanship_ru/uploads/files/260_maedalawsofsimplicity.pdf

Best regards,
Iberê