A proposal to combine quality and bugsquad teams

Alberto Salvia Novella es20490446e at gmail.com
Sun Oct 27 18:17:17 UTC 2013

Nicholas; also consider to *list activities* in the developer role
<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QATeam/Roles/Developer> in increasing order of
hardness, so readers will look first at those that are easier to
perform; what will increase the perception that is easy to contribute.

And I find related with this, being by the tenth year release of Ubuntu
(and usually software takes ten years to mature, so time has arrived)*
<http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000017.html> this is a
good moment to *bol**d* perhaps important things. Those that appears to
me can make a difference:
*

**Do it simple and agile, and it will be great ♻*

- *Robustness* is the child of transparency and simplicity.*
<http://www.faqs.org/docs/artu/ch01s06.html#id2878145>
- *Perfection* is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but
when there is nothing left to take away.*
<http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/26979.html>
- When there's nothing surprising *to say*, you should say nothing.*
<http://www.faqs.org/docs/artu/ch01s06.html#id2878450>
- Worth than a thousand *words*, is a single one that grants peace.*
<https://es.wikiquote.org/wiki/Buda_Gautama>*

**
**Because cyborgs are a few, design for humans ⛹***

We computer professionals tend to *forget* that most people do not
behave as us, wanting to expend as needed in improving computing. But
please have a look at this photos because, in the real world, the 80% of
people are:

- Elders
- Women
- Teenagers

And they will be willing to help us, but not as much as a technician
(obviously!). So you shall *write for humans*, not cyborgs (us). You
shall read aloud, and it will sound as if you were speaking to a friend.

Open not to good, but to *all good*; and you will get more good than
intended.

*Sound like poetry ♤
*
So if a *Haiku* sounds like:

- "The first cold shower, even the monkey seems to want a little coat of
straw".
- "On the jagged cliff, sadly gazing far below, his troubles end here".

*Short, so focused:*
- Regular: "This team has the objective of improving the quality the
user will be willing for in Ubuntu, so it is the best it could be".
- Magnificent: "Our mission is to improve the user experience in Ubuntu".

*Walking in time:*
- Regular: "This bug will be ready to be worked on by a developer only
when it has been reported upstream".
- Magnificent: "Report this to the main project, and then it will be
ready to be fixed."

*Walking in logic**:*
- Regular: "I prefer not to read so many philosophy books because I find
actions more feasible".
- Magnificent: "Since I find decisions being the best teacher, I prefer
not to expend so much time reading how to do things".

*Playful:*
- Regular: "I'm going now".
- Magnificent: "I'm dreaming in bugs now".

*Positive and optional**:*
- Regular: "You must avoid no treating people politely".
- Magnificent: "You will want to make people feel well attended by you".

*Use genuine feelings ☺

*If you write "Thank you for taking the time to report this bug and
helping to make Ubuntu better." *a hundred times*, you will know about
what I'm speaking. People knows the difference between genuine affection
and a computer, and they will love you or hate you because of this;
because they want they *to be recognized* as human beings, not industry
figures.

And if you hear something like "this team is doing incredible things
with the most wonderful experience in computing" you will know
immediately that it belongs to some kind of *advertisement*. Although to
promote passion and to use proven persuasion techniques is good, it
isn't not saying exactly what is *real*; or perhaps that is only real in
you opinion but perhaps in none others.

So recognize what made it good *for you*, and read aloud to see if it
sounds like something you could say in person: "I love Ubuntu because
it's challenging the world as none other operating system has done before".

*Stop**bleating**,****and bite ⚽

**Note* that most of the time is not possible to speak of what should be
done and be doing it at the same time. Moreover, many people tend to
speak in order to *distract themselves* from the fact that in practice
they're doing nothing (I'm not studying): they know about life, how to
manage politics, how to train soccer teams, how to start Google, and
what has to be done for being as healthy as Hollywood star; but very
little perform the *kind of things that had to be done* in order to

This happens because of being scared of failing and doing ridiculous.
But *ridiculous is wise*, because you put yourself in the place where
you learn the fastest.* <http://youtu.be/vjXQ-MRmROQ>

In fact, by definition, only makes sense to worry about the most
important thing you can do *in this very moment*: the only that you can
make real. What you can't do isn't important at all.

*Just trust* that if you do (mostly think) what it generally works it
also will work for you too. So stop wondering about problems, focus in
*solutions*:

- *How* I want this to be like, in detail.
- What kind of *thoughts* has a person that achieves this.
- *When* I usually got nearer to this.
- What I do *different* under these last circumstances.

And think and do this *now*.

*In summary ⚿

*Reality is very *simple*.
If it isn't *simple* it isn't real.
So do *simple*.

So..... write the wikis and projects' descriptions like this 😄

Thanks for reading.
**