Bug Triage processes need some improvement and automation (Bug triage activity summary)...

AG Restringere ag.restringere at gmail.com
Thu Nov 7 23:06:28 UTC 2013

@ Brian Murray, I've shelved and retracted the previous proposal after some
discussion on the Bug-Squad mailing list.  The process I was proposing was
simply diametrically opposed to the current Bug Squad/Control processes and
would not actually work as intended in actual application. However I did
"drill down" to the problem that I had and it turned out to be a problem
with what kind of data is displayed on actual bug reports in Launchpad and
making that data more searchable.  It's not a process problem, it's a data
display and search issue.

> What types of bugs did you have difficultly searching for?

Yes, Launchpad has loads of detailed search items available but the problem
with looking at bugs about to expire is that these are bugs that I should
NOT be looking at, it's better to let them expire like you said.  True I
could see if they are Incomplete but that would mean that Bug Triage has
already done their job and is just waiting for the Reporter. The bugs I
want to find are ones with multiple Reporters are Confirmed and fresh but
aren't getting any attention from Bug Triage or not enough attention. This
the area where I could really jump in a "pick up the slack".

There doesn't seem to be a way to search for bugs that have low "bug
triage" activity because Launchpad just records everyone's activity and
only reports generic information.  That is activity from Reporters,
Developers, Packagers and Bug Control/Squad members, everyone, but it
doesn't separate out or filter just activity from Bug Control/Squad.  The
minor feature I am proposing for Launchpad seeks to display information
that is relevant only to Bug Squad/Control and to help summarize some of
that activity as well as the relevant ID's of the Bug Triage people active
on a bug.  Then to make this searchable in a way that is useful.

I've worked out that the only additional information that needs to be put
on a bug-report is:

1. Bug triage activity summary on bug-reports:

It would be very brief, just a listing the Bug Control/Squad members and
brief summary with just a few words located at the top of the report,
please note the Launchapd ID's would be URL links to the Bug Triage members
Launchpad page:

reference: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity/+bug/1221304

> Bug Squad/Control: *bregma*, *ag-restringere*
> Triage activity: 3 days ago, "recent"

If the bug hasn't had any triage activity for at least 30 days and it needs
attention from the Bug Squad/Control and the field will change to this:

> Bug Squad/Control: *bregma*, *ag-restringere*
> Triage activity: 36 days ago, "needs attention"

2. Launchpad bug search additions:

In the Launchpad Bug Search tool, you would see a single additional item
the search options in the Advanced Search menu, days are list so you can be
more specific in the search because this would be more useful:

reference: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bugs?advanced=1