adopting the package ubuntu-release-upgrader

Brian Murray brian at ubuntu.com
Fri May 17 15:02:35 UTC 2013

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 12:55:58PM +0200, melchiaros wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> you know in the near past I have had some interest in the package
> ubuntu-release-upgrader.
>
> My motivation to this comes from the point to lower the rate of
> problems/reports that hit us all on launchpad from the user community.
>
> Beside this the idee of shortening the relases cycle time with the ideal
> of a rolling-release that is really rolling on the bleading edge of
> software is a idea I like. This would also circumvent the problmes that
> those of us are facing on trying to report upstream on older versions of
> software. The most upstream developers are not so happy about reports on
> older versions.
>
> Also the upstream projects by themselfs are boiling down the rate of
> errors the software has which they develop. I see the tendece that all
> becomes better with release to release. With this it is to expect that a
> user community that is in middle more to the latest develoments is a
> community that reports lesser bugs (not at whole if the user community
> is increasing, but seen on each head).
>
> The package ubuntu-release-upgrader is a kind of software that plays the
> central role for this road of shortening the gab between the latest
> software versions and the final releases.
>
> In respect to this I would like to adopt the package
> ubuntu-release-upgrader.
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BugSquad/AdoptPackage
>
> Is there a possibility to get automatic notifications of new reports to
> this package? If so could someone give me a workflow or just add me?

It is possible to subscribe to the bugs about a particular package using
the following steps, using ubuntu-release-upgrader as an example.

1) Visit
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-release-upgrader

2) Click "Subscribe to bug mail" which opens a little dialog
3) Click "are added or changed in anyway"
4) Click "Create"

This will of course subscribe you to any changes about bugs that have a
task for the ubuntu-release-upgrader package, which can be a fair bit of
e-mail.  There is a wiki page regarding filtering bug mail at:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/HowToFilter

> Because I know it:
>
> Brian,
>
> refering to
>
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu-release-upgrader
>
> you are the most active developer on ubuntu-release-upgrader.  Would it
> be o.K to you when I triage arround on this?

Yes, it would be okay, however because there is not much documentation
regarding triaging ubuntu-release-upgrader bug reports and it can be a
complicated process (I'm still learning myself) - I would prefer that
we spent some time triaging bugs together in the ubuntu-bugs IRC
channel.  I'm available weekdays from 1500 UTC to 2359 UTC.  Let me know
when works for you and I'll be happy to meet you there.  Anyone else is
welcome to join us!

Thanks,
--
Brian Murray