Bugs filed against "linux" that could be filed against "ubuntu-release-upgrader"

Brian Murray brian at ubuntu.com
Tue Mar 26 15:41:29 UTC 2013

On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 11:54:22AM +0100, Walter Garcia-Fontes wrote:
> While reviewing bugs against the upgrader I've noticed some bugs
> against "linux" that could be upgrader bugs, maybe they could be
> dupped and managed all together. Please take a look at the
> following:

Thanks for bringing these bugs up, let's have a look at them
individually.

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/dpkg/+bug/1150232

This one really is a dpkg bug.

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1110390

This one appears to be an issue with update-initramfs or grub as you can
see in DpkgTerminalLog.txt.  Looking at the description again they are
trying to update the kernel when running a Live CD.  You can tell it is
a live CD from the LiveMediaBuild and ProcKernelCmdLine parts.  There
have been issues with this process in the past and another bug may have
appeared.

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1099848

I'm not sure what the issue here as the DpkgTerminalLog isn't rendering
properly but this is not a duplicate of 1090548 so I unmarked it as a
duplicate.

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1090548

This appears to be a syntax error in the reporter's /etc/default/grub.
'/usr/sbin/grub-mkconfig: 26: /etc/default/grub: Syntax error: newline
unexpected'.

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1079846
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1071524
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1089138

These are correctly marked as a duplicates.

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1086403

This also looks like misconfigured grub files:

/etc/grub.d/41_custom: 8: /etc/grub.d/41_custom: EOF: not found

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1068845

I don't believe this is an upgrader bug, unless the wrong kernel was
chosen.  I'll look into that one though.

I'm not certain what lead you to believe that these were the same bug
but not many of them are and most should be treated as individual bugs.
Having said that, this specific error message does appear in a few of
the bugs:

Failed to process /etc/kernel/postinst.d at
/var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-image-3.5.0-19-generic.postinst line 1010.

However, this is non-specific and you need to look the error messages
before that to determine what failed.

The release upgrader has code written to determine whether or not the
bug is with the upgrader or with a specific package and then files the
bug in the appropriate place.  It usually does the right thing.

Thanks again for bringing these up for discussion, I hope this
information is helpful.

--
Brian Murray
Ubuntu Bug Master